• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nardi Hub Fitment

Hi.

I bought a Nardi wheel and hub from Crowder's about 4 years ago. I've always questioned the fitment of the hub and have had issues with the horn button working intermittently. The original horn button was a double contact so I had to make a secondary ground wire which never liked to stay put. I recently changed to a single contact but haven't gotten it all sorted yet.

Is anyone on the board have a Nardi hub in their car? Does this look correct? I always though it should seat closer to the steering column vs having a 1/4 inch or more of a gap (I haven't measured the exact distance). The hub itself won't go any lower. 

Horn button is not popped in in the photo below. I took it out to try and seat the hub lower this morning with no luck.

I would love to get this all sorted out so I can pass NY State inspection. A working horn is pretty much a safety item for a small car in NYC traffic.

Mike

IMG_3030.thumb.jpg.5928606d4b0fd632637aa09035a24eec.jpgIMG_3033.thumb.jpg.a6dc0d8382393711167647403955a2c2.jpgIMG_3029.thumb.jpg.0e7ca2ee564e4a32b9ba39534ced60cb.jpgIMG_3026.thumb.jpg.b6f16982bb9c70532fabf59c4ceb76e6.jpg

• Like 1

mike tunney

My hub is "closer" to the pad ~1/2 the distance your show, see the other post about the "short steering wheel hub adapter". 

my hub has the similar flare. No issues with horn over the past ~40 years. 

Colin 

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

1 hour ago, D Seattle said:

Mike, I put one on  in this weekend also now Horn does not work.  Have not started tinkering yet. I have a gap also but not quite as big.  Wonder if the pin is not making contact?

Can you post some pics of how close it is? Is your horn a single or double contact? The one I got from Crowder originally was a double contact. It won't work without a separate ground wire.

mike tunney

1 hour ago, D Seattle said:

I’m not convinced my pin is touching. 

Mime is also a double contact.  Had not thought of that.  Did yours work once you corrected the ground it’s and where the heck did you ground it?  Suppose right to the nut?

2C55D30A-D9F7-4F99-B109-CB0D190799C9.jpeg

9A7F4619-F454-407E-B06E-D2CAB2353AF1.jpeg

F68EA9B1-28EF-4BC0-A3A4-B9278E334FAA.jpeg

Is that a momo hub? It's different from mine. For the double contact, I made a ground wire that wrapped around the nut. I sandwiched it between two washers. It worked for a while and then would stop. I would have to re-do it every few months, which is why I wanted to switch to a single contact.

And thank you for the photos! I'll have to check mine and see how big the gap is.

Edited by thinksound_mike

mike tunney

9 hours ago, D Seattle said:

Got both the wheel and hub from crowders.  Allegedly the hub is a nardi also.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  

Funny, because your nardi hub looks very different from mine. We both got them from Crowder. Two things may have occurred, either one of us (probably me) got shipped the wrong hub or the style has changed over the last few years. I think my hub is wrong. I'll have to confirm the part numbers. I was able to snap a pic before going to work and it looks like about a 1/2 inch out with no way of getting it lower. Might have to look at a MOMO hub instead.

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

• Like 1

mike tunney

2 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

Might have to look at a MOMO hub instead

Hey mike, if you do that would you mind posting a follow up and let me know how it comes out?  I'd like a hub at least an inch (1.5 would be better) shorter than what I have now.  Looks doable, may need an adapter.  Did you look at Mr. Steeringwheel.com  

http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/

Thanks,

D

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

2 hours ago, D Seattle said:

Hey mike, if you do that would you mind posting a follow up and let me know how it comes out?  I'd like a hub at least an inch (1.5 would be better) shorter than what I have now.  Looks doable, may need an adapter.  Did you look at Mr. Steeringwheel.com  

http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/

Thanks,

D

Will do. I won't have the hub for another 2 weeks or so. It's shipping from Estonia. I'll post an update then.

I hadn't seen Mr Steeringwheel before. I just went to ebay and searched for a hub.

Mike

mike tunney