EuroTech

1969 engine block vin?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Just reaching out to find out if there’s anything that took place in 1969 M10 engine blocks to not have a vin number stamped in the usual place between the starter on engine block? I’m looking at a mostly original 69 that has vin on the engine block, casting dates appear to match but no vin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the engine’s VIN boss is empty, it’s a remanufactured engine.

Regards,

Steve

Aftermarket remanufacture? I thought even BMW Reman had stamp markings on the engine vin boss?? Thanks

If the engine’s VIN boss is empty, it’s a remanufactured engine.

Regards,

Steve

36 minutes ago, EuroTech said:

Aftermarket remanufacture? I thought even BMW Reman had stamp markings on the engine vin boss?? Thanks

Some of the BMW-remanufactured engines had new identification stamped into the engine’s VIN boss. Some of the BMW-remanufactured engines had printed labels with the new identification pasted to the engine’s VIN boss. Some of the BMW-remanufactured engines had new identification stamped into the narrow shelf at the top rear of the block, just behind the head. Some new BMW bare (short) blocks came with blank engine VIN bosses — this is why I was asking for the dates. I’m confident there are other means that both BMW and aftermarket engine suppliers used, but I’m not familiar with them!

There are lots of threads that discuss these remanufactured engines, such as these:

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The vehicle in question was manufactured on July 21st 1969...... I have attached pics of what I have below... so it’s safe to say this cars had a remand engine of some type installed? I’ve also attached engine casting numbers

e90610fcbb7c97fc88b29100443cde5a.jpgbd21e6749a7dc6efa56c348f292cd409.jpgb272f5e20273967a92b787d1ea1eba24.jpg3c8ae822431afa7716ad390d45a83da1.jpg

20 minutes ago, EuroTech said:

bd21e6749a7dc6efa56c348f292cd409.jpgb272f5e20273967a92b787d1ea1eba24.jpg3c8ae822431afa7716ad390d45a83da1.jpg

I’ll admit the block’s casting date appears to be June 26, 1969 (“26F69”), which, as you suggested, dovetails neatly with the car’s manufacturing date. It’s not a guarantee of originality, but it’s certainly a strong coincidence. Look through, at least, the three threads I linked in my last post.

The casting number, 12102100849, appears on other blocks of similar vintage:

I’m also curious about the “658”, which appears to be stamped into the top rear of the block.

Casting date on your engine’s head?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I’ve attached the pic of the cylinder head which seems to have the date stamped rubbed off... if you zoom in close in looks like a ‘69.... I also attached a pic of the back engine block behind the cylinder head for a slightly better look at the 3 digit stamping.... everything seems to line up with being original but no vin on boss

b4d0b7594edfd6b8f99c8b5a67e03ce8.jpgb47f445b4e0cd95d61331977f392ca53.jpg

I don’t disagree with you. But I’ve never seen an ‘02 engine with your engine’s fact pattern, not to even mention the missing year for the head casting date. A factory-applied label could have fallen off, but that block casting date seems too convenient if it’s not the original block.

I’d look carefully at the identifications employed in those three previous threads, just to make certain we’re not missing something, e.g., “658” is a serial number of a remanufactured engine and we’re simply not seeing additional stampings to the right of it.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

That would not have left the factory that way- that VIN pad has been ground.

How about a few shots of the VIN stampings on the body?

t

6 minutes ago, TobyB said:

That would not have left the factory that way- that VIN pad has been ground.

How about a few shots of the VIN stampings on the body?

t

Good idea, Toby.

And I agree that the VIN boss has been ground.

But I also can’t imagine some nefarious scheme to re-VIN the car that was so carefully-conceived that they thought to grind off the engine number and head’s casting date. But maybe that’s just me, and why I didn’t become a career criminal.... 😉

Best regards,

Steve

Yeah, really weird that it all jives-   but that grinding looks just just 

like the coarse belt sander the factory used on factory- remanned blocks.

There might be a story here...

t

• Like 1