kutzoh

Original Upholstery Seat Stitching

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Just need to confirm, which seat stitching would be original to my '74, sewn or welded?

Thanks,

Greg

20181022_154232.jpg

20181022_154207.jpg

welded.

if it's stitched, it's not original or has been worked on.

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

welded.

if it's stitched, it's not original or has been worked on.

+1

And if someone is into originality — I’m not saying I’m one of those excessive and obsessive nut jobs — you quickly discover that one can be tortured by the lack of modern “heat seam” options.  I’d guess.... 😋 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the reply guys. So what I thought was "original", currently in my car, is actually "reproduction" and the "reproduction" set that I bought is actually "original". Simple.

Greg

• Like 1

The real test is how it feels while driving twisty roads.😁

There are six levels for correctness-

Original

Correct replacement

Correct replacement as available at that time

Mostly correct replacement 

Usable replacement 

Wrong

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kutzoh said:

....So what I thought was "original", currently in my car, is actually "reproduction" and the "reproduction" set that I bought is actually "original"....

Greg,

Subsequent to having the ‘76’s spare front seats re-done in 2014-15, I heard that one of the seat cover companies was starting to use some heat seaming. Could it be GAHH? If not, who? Where did you purchase your reproductions?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve-

I always thought my interior was "original", but the seams are sewn (see first pic in first post). I bought, what I thought was "replacement" upholstery either off of the parts wanted section here or Craigslist, can't remember, as a complete "used" interior, to repair a tear in the front drivers seat. That upholstery now appears to be "original" 1974 upholstery (see second pic in first post). Now to figure out how to move forward without being tortured by non-matching upholstery.

Greg

KGrHqEOKooE4t4Q6O1ZBONvmIiwQ_12.jpg

5 hours ago, kutzoh said:

What is pictured above is the proper pattern for the '74 - vertical pleats stop short of the top.  I didn't count the pleats to authenticate - had to give Steve/Conserv something to do!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kutzoh said:

What is pictured above is the proper pattern for the '74 - vertical pleats stop short of the top

John-

And that is a pic of my current interior, which is why I always thought my interior was "correct", the pattern is correct and the pleats are correct but apparently it's a replacement due to the seams. And if you look at my first post above the two materials are different.

Greg

3 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

...I didn't count the pleats to authenticate - had to give Steve/Conserv something to do!

Yes, sir! At your service!

Seven pleats on the front seats? Check, correct for 1974, and only 1974. (Twelve pleats before 1974, six pleats after 1974!)

Kutzoh’s seat covers might be from World Upholstery: their Gobi Tan often appears a bit more “fleshy” than the original square taillight interior color, which was called “Beige” in the paint brochures and “Nylon Brown” on the U.S. window stickers.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kutzoh said:

Steve-

I always thought my interior was "original", but the seams are sewn (see first pic in first post). I bought, what I thought was "replacement" upholstery either off of the parts wanted section here or Craigslist, can't remember, as a complete "used" interior, to repair a tear in the front drivers seat. That upholstery now appears to be "original" 1974 upholstery (see second pic in first post). Now to figure out how to move forward without being tortured by non-matching upholstery.

Greg

I did the same thing by buying material I thought was right. Sewn pleats indicate someone, likely an upholsterer, has done some work on the seat/cover at some point. I have some original black '74 seats and one received the same stitch at some point in its life. My upholsterer (well, the only one in town with vintage BMW experience) won't touch my old covers, only new. So I plan to restuff these myself, hopefully this winter. in the meantime, I have a set from a '72 that will work fine until then.

original, welded

IMG_5265.jpeg

original, stitched (likely an replacement-repair sometime in its life)

IMG_5266.jpeg

the material I thought was correct. I'll think of something creative to do with it.

IMG_5264.jpg

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

...the material I thought was correct. I'll think of something creative to do with it.

IMG_5264.jpg

Joe, that’s close to the 1971-73 perforated vinyl. Maybe someone with an older ‘02 will have an interest.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, SteveJ said:

The real test is how it feels while driving twisty roads.😁

There are six levels for correctness-

Original

Correct replacement

Correct replacement as available at that time

Mostly correct replacement 

Usable replacement 

Wrong

Brilliant!!!😂

Just to be clear- this was tongue in cheek, but I can appreciate the details.

Things are usually done Wrong due to ignorance. With a little information (thanks to the FAQ) things can be done a bit closer to Correct as your budget allows.

In the end it is always about driving these cars. Dents, leaks, and wrong seats.👍