• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Bay Decals

mo02

Mo,

This is obviously a project a perfectionist shouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole! The permutations and combinations will drive one crazy....  ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

To add to the confusion, BMW used black emission stickers on the 1970 2800CS and switched to silver the same year and they stayed silver through 1971, the 3.0CS used silver in 72 and switched back to black for 73/74.  As Steve said, “too many versions!”

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Mo,

This is obviously a project a perfectionist shouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole! The permutations and combinations will drive one crazy....  ?

Best regards,

Steve

My thoughts exactly..... there is really no bounds to what is out there.  Like many items of that time....variation is a must! 

I do believe making an emissions PDF for owners to print their own decal would  be helpful although that takes time & the FAQ reference section really should be responsible for the file....not my suggestion but just a thought -- I would not do this but the idea seems right -- print what you need even if not perfect.

-Mo 

Edited by mo02

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

6 minutes ago, HBChris said:

To add to the confusion, BMW used black emission stickers on the 1970 2800CS and switched to silver the same year and they stayed silver through 1971, the 3.0CS used silver in 72 and switched back to black for 73/74.  As Steve said, “too many versions!”

Crazy.

42 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Mo,

Best regards,

Steve

I will, but I would need to ID each an original model or each year, probably stick to the US market. aim for 95% accuracy on appearance and content. I'll start with my year, 1974 and go from there. I'll report back after I complete my set ;)

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

.... so did BMW switch distributors during the 1972 model run, or did emission testing or regulations change?...

Mark,

I hope this is a rhetorical question.... ?

Although....it was in the spring of 1972 when I believe the single-barrel Solex was swapped out for the dual-barrel Solex — on U.S.-spec cars only. Was that accompanied by a change in distributor or tuning? It’s certainly possible.

Regards,

Stevel

So, could we ask Steve K to create a simple “Sticker Database”? It would have separate databases for NK and ‘02 cars and then simply have a single thread for each year, into which forum members could load photos of what they believe to be original stickers. Photos should be accompanied by a VIN, so we have a way to check that, for instance, a December 1969 car is correctly reflected as a 1970 and not as a 1969.

Got a 1971 2002 with old crumbly stickers? Great, drop those photos in the 1971 ‘02 thread!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

So, could we ask Steve K to create a simple “Sticker Database”? It would have separate databases for NK and ‘02 cars and then simply have a single thread for each year, into which forum members could load photos of what they believe to be original stickers. Photos should be accompanied by a VIN, so we have a way to check that, for instance, a December 1969 car is correctly reflected as a 1970 and not as a 1969.

Got a 1971 2002 with old crumbly stickers? Great, drop those photos in the 1971 ‘02 thread!

Regards,

Steve

Its certainly worth exploring.  I know there will be ups & downs like other threads but every time an owner wants to paint or just clean-up the engine bay it will be an invaluable tool.

Also gives forum members something to aim for with regard to posting meaningful reference pictures -- ie. it is easy to do.

-Mo 

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Regards,

Steve

brilliant! 

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

3 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Although....it was in the spring of 1972 when I believe the single-barrel Solex was swapped out for the dual-barrel Solex — on U.S.-spec cars only. Was that accompanied by a change in distributor or tuning? It’s certainly possible

Yes, mostly rhetorical, but suspected that the single to dual barrel switch would have had a corresponding distributor change, or required a tweak to the ignition timing specification for the bigger carb to meet emission standards at that time.  Hoping someone smarter than me (you) would have a definitive answer.  I also think it is strange that some stickers call for very specific CO2 percentages and others don't.  Of course, only the stickers from the 1976 49 State, the 1976 CA, and the 1975 Manual and Automatic US cars match the Blue Book footnotes for ignition timing, the rest are all over the map.  This has kept me up at night, trying to solve the mystery of the best ignition map for my de-smogged and modified car.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

41 minutes ago, halboyles said:

On this rather sticky subject, W&N has an extensive inventory of '02 stickers:

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/angebote/wochenangebote/aktuelle/bmw-1502-2002-turbo.html

Good point. The last time I checked, I thought they were very weak in English language / U.S.-spec stickers, but they’ve got a few, and certainly more than I recall.

Regards,

Steve