Mars55

Help with steering wheel installation

5 posts / 332 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone - I'm re-installing the steering wheel on my '68 1600 and....I can't find the pics when I removed it, dang it.

1. where do I thread the horn lead thru -- inside the stalk assemblies or outside? (right or left side?)

2. How does the inner ring with the copper align with the wheel?

3. any other tips?

See pictures. Thanks for the help!

IMG_20181014_125840782.thumb.jpg.4a9321c368f779803389d5b742bfeb74.jpg

IMG_20181014_125833926.jpg

IMG_20181014_125826663.jpg

There should be a copper or brass ring that's set into the upper and lower halves of the steering column surround.  That's what the insulated female terminal in your first picture should plug into.  

Your second and third pictures appear to show the back side of the steering wheel, that fits against the steering column surround.  If so, you have the little spring loaded contact installed backwards.  The spring loaded copper contact should poke through the hole in the back of the steering wheel, and the male terminal should plug into the wires leading from the horn push buttons on the three steering wheel spokes. 

Pressing the horn push button completes the ground circuit through the spring loaded contact touching the brass contact ring, causing the horn to blow.

mike

Ive been looking around for a thread on steering wheel removal and cannot find one.  Seems like this would have been covered.  Anyone have a memory of one they can point me to.  I've done a variety of searches and cannot find - of course if "you" do it you will hit it right off.

I have the standard 4 spoke large wheel with the big rectangular pad in the middle.

Thanks !

Mike, thanks. Here's what I see looking at the hub: the male connector is on the left side pointing towards the dash. The female lead fits, tightly, in a gap between the left stalk and the center. I can't see this going another way but it's a tight fit.

As for the spring loaded nib on the back of the steering wheel, that's fixed in place.

I really can remember how this fits together...

IMG_20181014_154715495.jpg

You need the trim pieces, top and bottom, to hold the ring you are showing. It connects to the wire you have, the ring is held in place between the 2 black trim pieces and the pin in the wheel makes the contact.