• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charcoal Cannister

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Fellas,

Do we really need these on out cars or ?

Am thinking of removing mine.

- Ken

'76'02

Guest Anonymous

02f12aaa.jpg

I think it's a somg thing? But I dunno. All I know is my county doesn't smog, so I ditched it. Car still ran afterwords, so I'm guessing it didn't need it.. :]

Guest Anonymous

Including the charcol canister...

Done this on (2) different cars, both California '76 2002's. Lots of extraneous junk on there. The hardest part I think is plugging the bit coming off the exhaust manifold, but I'm running a tii manifold so I don't remember how that was done, I'm sure there's bits on this in the archive....

Emissions control stripping would be a good FAQ because there's lots of little bits, somebody who's doing it should write it up.

---------------

BigDog

'76 2002 tii exhaust manifold Weber DCOE 40s

Guest Anonymous

weighs 8 oz. collects fumes from tank when vehicle is stopped, when you start car it pulls fresh air thru the canister to flush out fumes, which go through engine and so is burned.

Doesn't restrict intake or exhaust, doesn't affect timing, doesn't add heat.

I left mine there, I'd take it out to save weight if building a race car. Otherwise, leave it.

Guest Anonymous

I bet after ~30 yeras the charcoal's not effective anymore. Also, it gets in the way all the time when working.