• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator (re-bush) saga and wiring continues.......(read o

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, after having my alternator re-bushed <74tii>(only) from local bmw dude, fuse associated with turn signals and radio blew. Replaced fuse and of cours blew again. Went underneath to poke around lat night and found what I think is the brown ground wire attached to engine block (fine). But with it is a black and red wire that had been freshly stripped not attached to anything (except touch the oil pan), and ideas where this is supposed to go? or what its for? I also found another wire (black) that has one of the female plastic connectors on the end attached to nothing. Don't know what this wire is to, atlhough it seems to head back towards the fire wall. Although I am fearful I am going to take back to the BMW dude to finish his freaking work (although I hestitate to do so). Still would like from and education point to know what the wires are for.

Guest Anonymous

I lnly went to them because I was in a pinch, which is my fault because if I was maintaining my car better instead of driving the shit out of it I wouldn't have been in the position I was (part of driving a 30 year old car daily as well). Still, these guys suck and I don't trust them anymore, which is why if I can figure out what needs doing I will do it myself (RIGHT).

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

i can't STAND the f'n attitude, let alone incompetence. so i found a local guy who does foreign work that i can trust.

if it's on the way to cali, i'd have someone out there who's a fan take a look @ it for you.

_Dave

Guest Anonymous

Its a classic example of NOT getting what you pay for. If I had had the time and or another vehicle I would have done it myself because while the Alterantor locaiton on tii's is a royal *-)#@!, still it isn't rocket science. Pisses me off, wasting my time.

Guest Anonymous

So, do you have the stock alternator with the external voltage regulator? Or has your alternator been upgraded? If you've upgraded your alternator to one with an internal regulator (I have BoschAL41x) then the wires between the alt and the regulator are not longer needed. I've left mine in the wiring harness, just incase I ever get in a bind and have to use an original one again. Those could be what you're looking at.

-------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Bosch Al41x