2002Scoob

Who's Done Power Windows Using the factory Crank as a Switch

15 posts / 622 viewsLast Reply

Hi all, as the title suggests, if you've modded your windows to use the factory crank-arm as the up-down switch, I want to know how.

Not satisfied with my conquering the TUV, Brunhilde decided to put me in my place to let me know who's running the show. The other day when cranking the passenger window up by reaching over from the driver's seat, the window got to the top, then then handle made a light 'pop' and free-spun... Then throughout the day the window sloooowly inched down, and I was able to again crank it back up where it stayed.... I'mnot going to mess with it any further till it's fixed.

My thought is to make my winter project converting to power windows, and I'd like to re-use the factory cranks as the switches for that stock look. 

In searching, I've seen a few mentions of people who've done it, but nothing definitive on how and with what parts. 

Cheers!

-Scoob

Greetings. You probably don’t want to get rid of your window cranks. In case you power windows fail or if there’s a power issue, you would want to be able to raise or lower your window. 

Depending on your set up, why not just mount the switches to you shift surround. Or in my case I have an armrest-perfect for power switches. 

The arm-rest is a possible way to go if I added one, but i'm looking for that all original look, but with modern functionality.

I haven't disassembled my doors yet, but it seems like maintaining a manual window crank would mean that to roll them up or down, the handles would free-spin with them. I much like the idea of having the handles remain, but pull up and the windows go up. Push down, and they go down.

I believe the SPAL kit others have used has the arms removed and replaced with covers, so I guess you can remove them to manually crank in case of a failure?

Ah. I get it. Use that actual handle and crank to activate the switch. Very interesting. Would like to see how this works out. Good luck.

Yes. I have SPAL and the unit comes with a manual crank handle in case of failure.

I think this is one of Lawrence Charlemagne's cars (I could be mistaken). I took the photo a few years ago at Saratoga Show in Saratoga, NY. To me, it's the cleanest installation for power windows that I've seen. It reminds me of the later 3 and 5 series with a similar placement. It's feels like it could be factory even though they weren't placed there until the 80s (maybe late 70s).

IMG_1758.thumb.JPG.47f098b3845d911a9f70160c541310f8.JPG

• Like 1

I found this from another topic, but haven't found any mention of a kit that does so. 

@MikeWooldridge, where ya at, buddy?

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/156143-power-windows/

On 8/1/2014 at 4:45 PM, MikeWooldridge said:

I've seen kits that use the existing handle. A slight movement up or down activates the switch attached to the window handle behind the door card.

• Like 1

@thinksound_mike Unfortunately I've already filled that space on Brunhilde with toggle switches for amps, fuel pumps, and the like :/ I do really like that location. Hindsight, and all. haha.

• Like 1

Sounds like the pin that the helper spring that's part of the window lift has disintegrated.   They're pot metal, bearing against a steel spring and mounting frame--and the pot metal always loses.  

I did a column on how to repair broken window lift mechanisms; PM me and I'll send you a copy.

mike

• Like 1

I’ve seen the conversion done using e30 parts. Switches would have to go somewhere other than the door panels, plus you don’t want to have to reach over to lower the p/s window, right?

Bob

Meh. I'm Ok with it. I'm tall with long arms, and that's kinda keeping in-spirit with the original functionality, no? haha

Ahhhh, ok. So it was that Autoloc piece. Thanks @MikeWooldridge

I might try some home-brew 3D printed solution with some contact switches and limit sensors to keep the cost down... spending 200 bucks on door switches feels a tad excessive at the moment.

If you ever decide to go the Honda Civic armrest route, there are preset holes for power switches on either side of the handbrake. 

IMG_3224.jpeg

• Like 1