Simeon

Z3 e36 - yes or no?

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

The e46s really aren't all bad, they just have a lot of sensors, and if the oil was originally changed every 15k miles as the factory recommended at the time (they were paying for the servicing...) it can be a problem with the VANOS and sludge build up.  If you can get a good, low mileage one for reasonable money...  The MS43 ECU is open sourced, which you have to do to make the throttle response workable, and you can adjust everything.  Every 100k it needs a cooling system, o2 sensors, MAF sensor- they run pretty good then.  And I think they preferred to be driven, not left sitting around.

Nice looking car. 

I would say it depends on the maintenance.  My E36 has about the same mileage on it and it still runs strong and reliably.  I'm not familiar with the longevity of the automatic transmissions though.

You certainly would not be doing any track duty with that one.  Wasn't that one of your criteria early on?

This one looks interesting, but at that price, it might need a maintenance makeover..

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/BMW-320i-1992/SSE-AD-5510220/?Cr=10

This one looks like it could be a contender as well:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/BMW-325Ci-2004/SSE-AD-5585922/?Cr=0

You don't seem to have a ton of choices.  Lots of convertibles or automatics.

1 hour ago, NYTransplant said:

You certainly would not be doing any track duty with that one.  Wasn't that one of your criteria early on?

Yes, it was but I am at the mercy of not really knowing what I want and hence easily deflected from my path. I also have a thing for big, barge like, cars (I have had a couple of big MBs), I even had a peek at a really nice early 80s Jaguar XJ6 but I am scared at how bad that has the potential to be. 

Lots of automatics in Australia. People are too important to change their own gears here. Even cars with serious sporting pedigree seem to be spec’ed with autos here. Again, this is not so bad in a big barge with a large 6 or 8 but not in a relatively small 4. 

• Like 1