Mike A

Pulling the engine/trans help

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

The engine, trans and the whole compartment and tunnel are in desperate need of cleaning so..... 

I'm looking at the early version diagram of the transmission shifter parts. I pulled the pin that connects the shifter to the gear selector rod and it looks like only the circlip at the base of the shifter needs to be released and the shifter should pull straight up and out. It does not. I don't want to force anything. Is there more gear in there that has to be removed, or is it just a tight fit with the Delrin bushing?  Thanks , Mike   

Edited by Mike A

Yes, the "snap ring" I think is the circlip I referred to above and  I have it removed. I thought the gearshift should pull right out...but even with a good tug it doesn't want to....maybe have to use more force? 

There should be a cupped ring and spring above a nylon ball slide. That nylon ball slide can cock sideways and bind in the cylinder. Once that nylon piece is out, nothing is holding the shifter in.

I'll second Mikes advice if the shift shaft to the trans is hanging loose and you pulled the circlip it should pull right out with a sharp tug.

got it...thanks guys

Pardon if you already know about this, but realoem.com has all of the exploded parts diagrams, and as I recall, for shifters, they show old and  new. You type in your VIN and they tailor it to your car, although sometimes you get diagrams for other models and have to figure which one applies. 

Also, there is another site that has the same info and diagrams, but as I recall slightly larger and clearer. But for the life of me, I cannot conjure up the URL. Last time I saw it mentioned, I paused to make a note of it, and then said "Nah, I will remember that". 

Another FAQ'er will fill in my dead brain cells shortly, I am sure.

Randy