• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3-bolt to 4-bolt output flange issue

doslucero

I'm currently installing a getrag 240 5 speed transmission from a 1984 318i in my 2002.  Ran into an issue today when i tried to change the 3-bolt flange to a 4-bolt so I could use my 2002 driveshaft.  The two flanges have different center diameters.  I'm now looking for a 4-bolt flange that will match to a getrag 240 from a 84 318i.  Does anyone know if this exists and if so, on what cars or transmissions?  If I can't find a 4-bolt flange that will work, I'll need to find the front half of a 3-bolt driveshaft.  The picture shows the 3-Bolt (getrag 240) output flange with a small diameter.  The 4-Bolt output flange is from a 4 speed out of my 1976 2002.  

Thanks,

Roberto

IMG_6713.jpg

Edited by doslucero

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Most have used the front flange from an E21 3er.

Hi John, Can you elaborate on this?  The e21 came with a 4 speed and 5 speed.  Does the e21 5speed flange fit on a getrag 240?  If you mean to tell me to use a 3-bolt flange from a e21, I already have a 3-bolt flange (the one in the picture). 

Thanks. 

Edited by doslucero

• Alpina

I think he means the driveshaft flange. You’ll need to cut/adapt/balance the driveshaft after you get the 3 bolt flange on driveshaft. Most ppl prefer the 3 bolt flanges as the guibos are stronger

• Like 2

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

2 minutes ago, MOJOJOY said:

I think he means the driveshaft flange. You’ll need to cut/adapt/balance the driveshaft after you get the 3 bolt flange on driveshaft. Most ppl prefer the 3 bolt flanges as the guibos are stronger

Thanks.  I'll have to find a 3-bolt driveshaft to make that work.  

You need the nose/front flange from any BMW driveshaft that uses the "624" guibo, so that it can be welded to the front of your 2002 driveshaft when it gets shortened/balanced/rebuilt for your 240 5-speed conversion. I used to cut the flange part from used driveshaft that the transmission would've come from. 

Sorry that you have an '84 318i trans as it doesn't have a speedometer drive and that building a trans crossmember for the two diagonal mounts is harder than if it were a 240 trans from an '83 4cyl E21.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

5 hours ago, tjones02 said:

You need the nose/front flange from any BMW driveshaft that uses the "624" guibo, so that it can be welded to the front of your 2002 driveshaft when it gets shortened/balanced/rebuilt for your 240 5-speed conversion. I used to cut the flange part from used driveshaft that the transmission would've come from. 

Sorry that you have an '84 318i trans as it doesn't have a speedometer drive and that building a trans crossmember for the two diagonal mounts is harder than if it were a 240 trans from an '83 4cyl E21.

Thanks!  Looks like there are quite a few cars that use that guibo so hopefully I can find a driveshaft locally at a salvage yard.  I got a good deal on the transmission but unfortunately it didn't come with a driveshaft.  I ended up installing a gps speedo a while back cause my speedo never worked so that issue is solved.  I do however need to figure out the rear crossmember mount but I should be able to make that myself.  

Edited by doslucero
  • Like 1

Where are you located? I know a source near Eugene Oregon that might have what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

copy - I've been told.. if you have a 3 pronged connector, hold onto it... rare these days

• Like 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

On 10/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, tjones02 said:

Hi, I'm finding a few driveshafts that use the 624 guibo but they are not skinny driveshafts like on my 2002.  I have a lead on a e30 3-bolt driveshaft but it looks like its skinny on the ends of the driveshaft but fatter in the middle.   Will these still work?  Do you think the skinny ends are the same diameter as my 2002 and will a driveshaft shop be able to use just the end to weld to my 2002 driveshaft? 

The fat part of an early 80's 320i driveshaft is 60mm and the skinny part is 50mm, same as a 2002. You will need to cut off 3"-4" of 50mm tubing with the 320i flange, as the flange is really hard to get out by itself. You might want to find/make a short piece of tubing that fits inside both the flange tube and the driveshaft to center everything before welding. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...