2002s14dreams

Ignition left ON, now no power..

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

What’s up everyone, doing some work on the car (‘75 2002) the other night and it started to torrential downpour and in the midst of grabbing tools and closing up the hood I left the keys in the ignition in the ON position not realizing until the next morning when I went to look for them.

I had just put a brand new battery in, so I figured I could let it sit on the tender for a day and charge back up... battery charged up fine but when I put it back in, the car had zero power anywhere. I went and warranty exchanged the battery just to make sure, and still nothing.

Leaning towards maybe a the ignition switch got ‘burnt out’ from sitting in the on position for so long? Never had an issue like this before so any input is appreciated

Most likely, you cooked the coil.

(edited)

Check the points.  I did that once, a long, long time ago with a VW bug.  Key would pull out while ignition was still on.  Anyway, points welded together.  But love VWs.  Knocked the melted piece off the point., re gapped it by eye.  and got home no problem.  In fact, if memory serves, could hardly tell the difference.  Bullet proof little cars

not saying this is why you have no power.  Only saying that with ignition left energized you had power running through the points 

Edited by D Seattle
Omitted info

fried coil is different than "zero power anywhere".

I'd start with the terminals at the battery and the ground to the body/engine.

this style clamp is notoriously crappy

Related image

(edited)

I don't understand "no power anywhere"....no voltage to the panel? to the starter? or are you saying there is no response when you turn the key?  Check the ground side first.

Edited by Mike A

If your ignition switch ‘burns out’ under these conditions then when would it do when during it since the current through the switch would be greater (assuming that you didn’t leave your lights etc on as well). 

‘...when I put it back in...’ strikes me as the main culprit (if the issue really is no power to anything). Check the battery terminals and the connections at the end of the battery cables. Also, you are likely to have at least 1 x 6mm2 wire (often a bundle) coming down to the battery positive terminal from the loom near the radiator. Check these carefully for breaks/ bad crimps and make sure that they are connected to the positive terminal by a quality connection. Check the battery negative strap too. From the factory, this splits into two with a big strap connected to the block and a small strap to the body at the battery tray (or similar). The body and block both need to be well grounded. 

(edited)

Can you also elaborate what “doing some work on the car” entailed. 

Your current (pun intended) situation might be unrelated to ignition/battery once more details are divulged

We all love a good mystery 😊

Randy

Edited by worzella

Quote:

fried coil is different than "zero power anywhere".

I'd start with the terminals at the battery and the ground to the body/engine.

this style clamp is notoriously crappy

I misunderstood. I was thinking of zero power to the wheels.

Anyway, It wouldn't hurt to check some voltages; staring at the battery.

You don't even need a volt meter. A cheap trouble-light from HF will do.

image_1005.jpg.e2452ab700d9c414f8261d8ecf03ee58.jpg

Wow thank you all for the quick helpful replies. Upon further inspection I found one of the smaller positive cables had actually become cracked/broken. I’m guessing it happened in between removing and installing different batteries.

Thanks for posting the final issue. Nice to have closure... ommmmmm 

• Like 1