• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Prices / Values

Slavs

I'd want my 'brand new' 02 to be exactly the same...except I'd want really really really good AC

first 'cause I've become a wuss and anything over 70 F' and I'm using AC on my daily...

2nd I have this life long 'dream' of driving my tii in 95+ heat all the way to the tip of Baja on some epic surf trip.

Owning a new 02 would give me a chance to treat the syncros' properly!

As far as whining about values going up. I'm ok with it. Apparently my 20k 73tii is now worth twice of what I paid for it. Yeah! But now I have a real liability sitting in my garage. I worry when it sits out front 'exposed' to thieves and scoundrels who drive by..... Next pay period I'll be looking into Lo Jack.

....AND Hagerty'.

*My one pet peeve is the astronomical prices on some parts ie steering boxes, used diffs/5 speeds, mudflaps, grills, strut housings, heater valves and such. 

I can't help it..that pisses me off 

I made a serious promise to myself awhile back to never 'gouge' enthusiasts..

Edited by iinca
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, COOP said:

Hi Andrew! That valuation sounds about right for a ‘73, although perhaps a little low for a ‘72. ??

Boy, does it ever get boring hearing the periodic whinging about the supply & demand workings of our fine, capitalist system as it pertains to old cars. If you don’t like the basic fact that things are worth what people will pay for them on a given day, move to the DPRK. Searching for “villains” to blame for economic realities (flippers, speculators, rich people who aren’t “real” enthusiasts, whatever TF that means) makes one appear snobby and dumb.

+1

Deal with it...it is what it is and it isn't going to change - kinda like housing prices in the bay area...not going down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, adawil2002 said:

The values for 02s have gone up 10x in the past 10 years.

With that calculation my 1973 Tii would be worth $150K which is fine by me. We all know the actual value/price is lower than that, yet at the same time still considered expensive compared to when I was in college and bought 2 21 year old '02s for $3K.

FYI: I've heard from the sellers of 3 local Tii's numbers matching restored cars at $90k-$110k and of course the Clarion twin carb Square car at $125k. 

These numbers were from the sellers that didn't want the buyers publicized but real numbers.

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

In May 1969 I paid $3452 (list price) for a nice new sunroof 2002; in June of '78 I paid $3400 for a 5 year old 73 sunroof with A/C.  In both cases my friends told me I could have gotten a lot more car for the money--like a nice new Buick!  Would I still be driving a 69 or 73 Buick?  I don't think so...if it had lasted that long. I knew back in 1969 that a 2002 was something special, and a keeper--and I was right.  I've been enjoying other folks learn that as they bought their first '02.

Another more modern 2002 (although not that modern any more) is an E30 318is or an E36 318ti.  The former was marketed by BMW as "a 2002 for the 90s" and it is.  But they're going up in price too, so if you want one, start looking.  One year car, and most have a bazillion miles on 'em and/or were trashed/thrashed--far fewer made than 2002s.  And an absolute ball to drive.  And the ti was sold here in small numbers--and is also fun to drive--same high revving twin cam engine as the E30 (M44 vs M42).

So if you're getting leery of driving your 02 daily, try an E30 or E36 ti...

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 minutes ago, mike said:

In May 1969 I paid $3452 (list price) for a nice new sunroof 2002;

Using the CPI Inflation Calculator, that equates to $23,912 in today's dollars - what a deal!

• Haha 1

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

2 hours ago, mike said:

May 1969 I paid $3452

In July 2014 I paid $2900, but it wasn't so nice, it did run with simi fresh cheapo paint job but not much more to say

Dat 1:

259908779_OffthetruckdeliveryDay1.thumb.JPG.d78649360e1c8c93c946f974ac6cc015.JPG

Hood wouldn't close since the hood bar was upside down:

647450643_Repair1.HoodBarreversed(2).thumb.JPG.fec110f58d3faec959f68bb49ad84c07.JPG

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Why are we buying into this ?, well I’ll tell you why.

Althought Mass Produced few have survived. Of the survivors there are few then there are only

so many that are original rust free examples. 

The desire to own a car that one wanted

with great passion in their youth firmly places this car in Bucket Lists.

Many  of us can afford to purchase any 

car we want and the car we want is in short supply .

Supply and Demand.

why do I pay, what I pay, for what I love ?

this is the essence of a developing vintage market. I’m the type of man who causes

inflation by paying what’s asked to own what I love.

i have loved many cars in my life and 

spent 50 years chasing car shows.

i must tell you that you never  see

any car club or group that can drive

from 1000’s miles around (and back)

drink beer, and party like the vintage

o2 tribe.

Thats Why !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, jp5Touring said:

I started to look for roundie with a sunroof and hopefully little rust about a year ago. I wanted to spend 5k and quickly realized I would need to spend 10k for a solid 02.  I've had two sold out from under me to local buyers. People in Cal. prefer not to sell cars to people in Michigan when someone down the street wants the same car.  BAT has definitely influenced prices, I'm now hoping to spend under 15k for a decent one.  The plan was/is to spend too much money on building my own.  But now 25k 02's done well seem to be a better value then most 15k 02's that are for sell now.  It's a struggle on what way to go cause I'm a "built not bought" kinda guy.  

I would like to encourage you to continue your struggle and fight the good fight finding a rust free roundie 

• Like 1

Back to what CHARGIN entered a few days ago. 

........."3 local Tii's number matching cars at $90K-110K....."   and "........but real numbers....."

Some on the FAQ are real questioners and those on BAT would love the opportunity to view those examples.  

Those cars must be EXRAORDINARY and have significant provenance. 

Got any history/pics? 

Mac. 

14 hours ago, Road trip said:

I would like to encourage you to continue your struggle and fight the good fight finding a rust free roundie 

Oh, I will thanks.  Just looking for that special one.?

Whenever I see some of the higher prices.I just think about where my Son works. He does fabrication for a shop that does resto work and a lot of pro street muscle car builds. The builds range from 100k to 1.2 million.   So even with the leap in value lately these cars are still a great value.

• Like 1