Sign in to follow this  
73tiiDavidPA

What is this Electric Do-Hicky ?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yes, I'm completely ignorant when if comes to most electrical "things" under the hood.  I've searched about a bit, but I'm sure many folks will instantly know what this thing is.  

It's on the driver's side inner fender, the round silver canister with like 4 wires going to it.  It's suppose to nicely bolt up to the fender on a bracket, but the two press rivet things are broken, so it has had a zip tie like... forever.  

Is it possible to order a new one?  If so what is am I ordering?  (the car is a US 73tii, January build)

Much thanks for help!

IMG_5808.thumb.JPG.698d1f3c5387b04eb7c788448c19a496.JPG

it is the horn relay.

the replacement is usually not

round or as nice as the vintage

one you have. it can be opened

and reattached to the bracket.

stone

21 minutes ago, stone02 said:

it is the horn relay.

the replacement is usually not

round or as nice as the vintage

one you have. it can be opened

and reattached to the bracket.

stone

Thanks!  I'll take it off the fender next time I'm out in the garage and see what I can do about re-attaching it to the bracket.  

IIRC vintage Volvos (122s, 140s, P1800s) used this same relay for both horns and, on the P1800 for the overdrive relay. Might be able to find one from a vintage Volvo parts place...

But the pop rivet trick is the easiest.  Just use as short a rivet as possible, as things are kinda crowded inside and you don't want the rivet shorting out a live wire inside.  Removing the cover isn't difficult, just takes a small pair of arc joint pliers ("ignition pliers") and some patience.

mike