hankeester

ignition coil replacement

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

So I'm replacing the coil and the two wires on the old coil were on the bottom terminals. The new Bosch has 3 terminals on each side. I just

wanted to make sure with the coil mounted in the same position that the wires go on the same terminals on each side. I'm not familiar 

with coils and don't want to fry anything. Are those just extra terminals on each side and as long as you have the positive wire going to the positive

terminal and negative wire going to the negative terminal you are good?

coil.jpg

Edited by hankeester

26 minutes ago, hankeester said:

Are those just extra terminals on each side and as long as you have the positive wire going to the positive

Only 2 terminals, but 3 tabs on each terminal.

Yes and you will be good.

2 hours ago, hankeester said:

So I'm replacing the coil and the two wires on the old coil were on the bottom terminals. The new Bosch has 3 terminals on each side. I just

wanted to make sure with the coil mounted in the same position that the wires go on the same terminals on each side. I'm not familiar 

with coils and don't want to fry anything. Are those just extra terminals on each side and as long as you have the positive wire going to the positive

coil.jpg

If you like things tidy, you can clean up and swap the old terminals onto the new coil so there aren't extra, unused terminals on the new coil. If I had to guess I'd also assume the metal of the older terminals is thicker than the new ones, as things tend to go. If you swap them, don't get carried away tightening them with your ratchet, snug is enough.

(edited)

The blue coil is different than others.  What year car are you putting it on? The blue coil uses no resistors.   74-76 has a resistor wire that needs to be eliminated.  Other years have a resistor that I am not familiar with.  Post pictures just to be safe. 

Edit: you have an early car,  you need to bypass the resistor as the blue coil is different, but ask a pro, I don't know much about early cars.

Edited by Dudeland

(edited)

Everyone recommends removing the resistance wire on later models, but just wanted to chime in that proper resistance “non-blue” coils are available that are compatible with that wire.

I have a picture of mine somewhere. I will try to locate it

Randy

C8D025B6-7348-4A18-9DF6-6B521C280CAE.thumb.png.ae5c29886579ce7efd3f9fd26fbbe325.png

Edited by worzella
Add pix

5 hours ago, hankeester said:

coil.jpg

First lets make sure you have right replacement coil. Clean that old coil and snap picture from coil bottom and share it here. All the coils are not the same. Wrong coil replacement effects your car performance 

I ordered it from Blunttech and Steve confirmed it was the right coil. Installed it yesterday and it's running great, I think

I can tell a little smoother running from the old one unless it's just in my head.

What year is your car?

And also, unless you are original owner, I would not trust most parts on an ‘02 as being correct since so many POs did incorrect things (I will join that group once I sell mine - ha ha)

Just curious

Randy

It's a 71'. The original owners were:

Grandfather from 1971 to 2008, my mother bought it in 08' and owned it until 2014 when I bought it from her. While I don't know everything that was

done to it, I do know everything is still stock have all records from when she owned it. My grandpa I can't speak to any records. From what someone

mentioned on here, I thought 71' didn't have a resistor wire. I only have a distributor lead and battery lead from the old coil, so I just assumed since

it ran good for the past four years since I owned it that it was correct. That's why I just did a plug and play with the new coil.

Cool thanks. Nice history. 

I might be off but I believe pre-74’s had an external resistor and used a coil without builtin resistance. Then 74 they got rid of the external resistor and used a resistance wire in its place but still using a non resistor coil

But the blue coil has internal resistance so should be used only without an external resistor or redistor wire

Me thinks....so your car should not have resistor wire but do you have a ceramic resistor attached to the sheetmetal near the coil?

Randy

41 minutes ago, worzella said:

Cool thanks. Nice history. 

I might be off but I believe pre-74’s had an external resistor and used a coil without builtin resistance. Then 74 they got rid of the external resistor and used a resistance wire in its place but still using a non resistor coil

But the blue coil has internal resistance so should be used only without an external resistor or redistor wire

Me thinks....so your car should not have resistor wire but do you have a ceramic resistor attached to the sheetmetal near the coil?

Randy

Yep,

The ceramic resistor is bolted right above the coil...Now that you mention it, lol. I was wondering what that was.