Joesprocket

Replacing brake res float with wine cork

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Was wondering if anyone has tried using a wine or champagne cork as temp or permanent fix for a brake reservoir float thats taking on brake fluid. My brake light has been flickering for months and happy to have found the root cause but taking a while to find a new plastic float with rubber grommet. Hoping this solution might be a patch

I would worry about the cork breaking up in the brake fluid and getting through your system. Workaround here is to disconnect the wiring at the cap until you can get a new float. 

Yes! That’s my primary fear as well but wanted someone else to validate. Unplugging until I can find someone with a spare or source on eBay 

Plastic cork?? You just have to keep drinking until you open a bottle with one 

Rsndy

• Haha 1

A "real" cork cork will absorb the brake fluid and pretty soon won't perform its assigned function.  Before polyethylene, car makers used cork for the floats on gas gauges, but always coated the cork with shellac; dunno if shellac withstands brake fluid, but urethane probably does, and could be used to coat the cork.

mike 

• Thanks 1

(edited)
22 hours ago, Joesprocket said:

Was wondering if anyone has tried using a wine or champagne cork as temp or permanent fix for a brake reservoir float thats taking on brake fluid. My brake light has been flickering for months and happy to have found the root cause but taking a while to find a new plastic float with rubber grommet. Hoping this solution might be a patch

Topic has been discussed before.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/215527-question-about-brake-fluid-reservior-cap/

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/135195-brake-fluid-reservoir-cap-rebuild/

581996651_brakefluidfoatassembly(3).jpg.

One imagines that the original float or even a substitute like cork could be used, with the same protection often employed to prevent the spread of STDs.  Whether that type of protection resists brake fluid or for how long is unknown. 🙄

Edited by avoirdupois