slowpoke

"sticky" new steering box

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

just got my steering box replaced (there was no more adjustment available) w/ a re-manufactured one and its really sticky.  Stiff..  not heavy, i know heavy... heavy to me means hard to turn because its a manual box.  stiff means the degree of difficulty to move doesn't correlate to steering angle and i can feel no restoring force when i turn (like there's no caster).  the wheel just stays at the angle i put it at.   reputable shop, don't know where the box came from.  shop said they called mfger and they said, use it for a while and it'll get smoother.

anyone else have this happen to them?

Something is not right.  Their answer does not compute.  It could be several things. Is the box adjusted properly?  Off center there should be plenty of "play".  OR it could be binding somewhere.  If the shop had the struts out or disassembled the struts maybe the upper spring perch is dragging on the upper strut bearing or the bearing is bound up.  Your issue could also be the alignment.

Was anything else replaced at the same time?  If the idler arm bushings were replaced, it's possible to over tighten it if you used the factory specs.

Struts weren’t touched.  Looking at the records, no other bushings were replaced.   Before the replacement the steering was loose, 1/8 turn prior to seeing anything resembling steering OUTPUT.  I guess the thing to do is put it up on blocks and see where the friction is coming from...

4 hours ago, slowpoke said:

shop said they called mfger and they said, use it for a while and it'll get smoother.

Huh?

Manufacturer? Or was that "rebuilder"?

I can guarantee that it will not get smoother.  It was not shimmed properly in the first place.

...and if they filled it with grease, well, all bets are off.

3 hours ago, williamggruff said:

Also possible the adjusting screw on the new box is too tight. 

30 seconds to check.

Jim what are you using for idler arm bushing torque? Factory number is nuts. Mine gets too tight to move by hand at 20#. Due to fear, ignorance and the blue book I'm going with 30.

Take a look at the center track steering link. If it is marred or looks like someone used a pickle fork to remove it or pried it off that would definitely cause binding. I always use the proper ball joint puller at the pitman arm if I plan on reusing it. Otherwise I replace it, if it is slightly damaged.
M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem with a re-manufactured box. It will not get unsticky. Return to sender and try another one.