88 posts / 6408 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

So I finally have started working on the car again. I was waiting on pricing for a new windshield since mine tipped over and cracked. Decided OEM was the best and really not that much more then after market so I ordered one through work. Installed both front and rear glass last week and was waiting on lock strip installer tool so I can install that this weekend. I've also started to install all the exterior trim clips, but discovered how much paint is in all the holes and will have to ream them all out before I can install the clips now. I also ordered new vent window glass for the front doors since there was a combo of green/tinted/clear glass all around and now it will all match. I needed new seals too so I had to wait on those. Does anyone have pictures of how the rear quarter glass seals and trims fit in and what order to do it or a link to a "how to" on here? This has all been apart so long I'm not even sure I have the little screws and fasteners anymore. 

F6818DB4-978C-44CE-87C4-GLAS.JPG

BACEAE46-E4A1-41B6-A79F-FF97A20200DD.jpeg

F2AFEF37-8833-4A2A-9C24-F3E5A1F1ACFA.jpeg

ED984198-BC82-4C6D-A21C-93D671CA345E.jpeg

AD2179F3-FD38-448D-BFAF-BA554E40639C.jpeg

Edited by bimmer_b

1 hour ago, bimmer_b said:

lock strip installer tool

Hopefully you ordered the tool that has a little roller

1600Headliner018-3.jpg

since the 'other style' will mar the surface of the soft plastic trim insert. 

I think I got mine through Blunttech (seven years ago).

Here is an old thread about them.

Tom

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I have the kit with the different heads, but this is helpful to see which one you used. Thanks!

Hopefully you ordered the tool that has a little roller

1600Headliner018-3.jpg

since the 'other style' will mar the surface of the soft plastic trim insert. 

I think I got mine through Blunttech (seven years ago).

Here is an old thread about them.

Tom

• Like 1

(edited)

inspiring story and work. not sure how I missed this but I'm glad you posted again and are still going strong. this will help me keep my tii project going ...thanks

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

(edited)

I was also able to get the steel wheels my Dad had saved as spares powder coated until I find something else more permanent to put on. I think they turned out pretty nice considering they used to be all rusty and in terrible condition. Now I can try to get rid of the Borbets that were on the car.

*I will also be posting some spare parts soon that I have no use for if any one is interested in the Borbets, wood faceplate cluster, A/C heater box stuff and some other misc. parts. I have some interior pieces as well as a lot of extra glass in good condition. I will most likely make a separate post in the for sale section. 

57504382_2246134192368691_2122013285048909824_n.jpg

Edited by bimmer_b

nice set of 'Slots. I have a set of those too. Personally I think they look great on 72/73 tii's....especially if combined with the factory chrome trim rings.

Sort of like the 'Rallye wheels on a classic Mopar muscle car...which I love

• Like 2

Excellent progress, Ana! I think yellow zinc is about all you can get in the US, since the original yellow chrome is an environmental disaster. Looks great, but can be taken to a high level of bling. If you can get parts at work, order new Wurth hardware or some is available through Fastenal at decent prices. Plating brackets and stuff, go to the place in NC mentioned earlier, I think they will plate parts up to 4’ Length.

• Like 1

(edited)
51 minutes ago, fjord-tii said:

Excellent progress, Ana! I think yellow zinc is about all you can get in the US, since the original yellow chrome is an environmental disaster. Looks great, but can be taken to a high level of bling. If you can get parts at work, order new Wurth hardware or some is available through Fastenal at decent prices. Plating brackets and stuff, go to the place in NC mentioned earlier, I think they will plate parts up to 4’ Length.

I need the screws for the rear quarter glass and b pillar chrome trims. I tried to see if I could get them and looked on realoem, but I didn’t see them listed separately.  I held off on the plating for now since I’m working on getting all the glass and seals together first. 

Edited by bimmer_b

The screws for the vertical pieces are in realoem.com 51/45 as 

06 Fillister head self-tapping screw ST3,5X6,5 8     07119907774 $0.09

Probably you can get the Phillips oval-head screws in stainless

The horizontal pieces are just rivets:

02 Rivet 3,2-3A 8     07129948742 $0.11

Are the Borbets by any chance 14”?I’ve currently got bottle caps :(.

1 hour ago, fjord-tii said:

The screws for the vertical pieces are in realoem.com 51/45 as 

06 Fillister head self-tapping screw ST3,5X6,5 8     07119907774 $0.09

Probably you can get the Phillips oval-head screws in stainless

The horizontal pieces are just rivets:

02 Rivet 3,2-3A 8     07129948742 $0.11

Are the Borbets by any chance 14”?I’ve currently got bottle caps :(.

Thank you. Will send pics of them when I get back home. 

Back to work on the car this week. The glue the body shop used to glue the trunk and door seals did not bond to the seals so they came off and I re-glued them yesterday. I also ordered a replacement rear center trunk trim piece since mine was too damaged/scuffed for repairs. I also ordered new roof trims, which I'm waiting on the tool to install.  Now the trunk area is complete and I can move on to the door and side window glass. I finally riveted in the b pillar trims and I just need the interior screws for the rear vent window latches for that section to be completed. I am waiting on my hardware for the door glass track pieces to be bead blasted so I will work on installing and adjusting that once I get the pieces back. I tried to start installing the front bumper brackets, but A. I'm unsure which hardware is correct for the frame section and B. when I did try to put some bolts into the (what looks like slide in recesses) in the frame I wasn't able to get the brackets over them. I guess I need to see a similar car to see how it is installed since the parts diagram isn't much help. 

Also, if anyone happens to have any spare brackets that hold the front kidney grilles I need some since they are NLA. I suppose I could make some at work, but I'm not sure how big to make them or how specifically they attach to the front end. 

119469756_971694779922903_3011719804865102875_n.jpg

119470301_374979260189281_4584489736546623895_n.jpg

119471095_1260967800923780_4863811895020932840_n.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bimmer_b said:

I suppose I could make some at work, but I'm not sure how big to make them or how specifically they attach to the front end. 

That bracket fits behind the center kidney on the threaded posts, one at the top and one at the bottom.

KidneyGrill Diagram.jpg

You can buy the the OEM spacers though, #51135480114.  On your nice new paint these keep the grill from contact.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

3 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

That bracket fits behind the center kidney on the threaded posts, one at the top and one at the bottom.  You can buy the the OEM spacers though, #51135480114.  On your nice new paint these keep the grill from contact.

I did find one white spacer in my bag of parts, also wasn't sure where that was supposed to go. I think I just need to see one installed. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Edited by bimmer_b

Ana, I haven’t had time to comment, but I wanted to pop in and tell you that the car looks amazing, and I think what you’re doing is a fitting and wonderful tribute.. to both family, father and all their history together.  I love it. Keep on keepin on. 

.. good call on the intermediary wheels, btw. Maybe see if the beauty rings are still available. That will set them off nicely, and tie in the bright work. (As seen here on the #beersnob02 at Vintage back in ‘16.)

Cheers!

(Jason Gipson)

158BBE8D-7130-473B-9522-4F248EC93163.jpeg

• Like 1