Scottwattz

Speedometer fix didn't work

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I've been trying to get my speedometer working and ran across this link. https://www.02restoration.com/restoration-tips/instruments/bmw-2002-speedometer-repair-1972-1976/ Seems legit so I went for it. Everything went well but his words at the end are something like when you re assemble you should be able to spin the reassembled speedometer shaft (at instrument cluster) and the needle will go up to 10-20 mph and return quickly. Mine just sits and stays wherever I bump it to. anyone been through it before??

Did you take the needle off? or did it go past the stop and unwind the return spring when you had it apart? that would cause it to not return, also if it didn't go back together correctly then the little needle that centers in the hole of the spinning weight might be bent or damaged and that could cause the same issue.  I made a video fir another FAQ member a while back, see if you can get through it without falling asleep and see if you see anything different about how you reassembled your speedo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh4C5a1pSbI

• Like 1

Thanks funkylaneo. 

- did not take the needle off

- I can’t find any feeling of a internal spring. Is that within the cast weighted wheel? 

-watched your video and seems exactly what I did except spraying lube on moving parts since I’m breaking it down a few times.

-Haven’t taken the cast wheel apart yet. 

As always big thanks for your help!

The spring I am referring to is actually behind the needle, not part of the drive side.  If you move the needle to say 30 miles an hour and let it go, does it spring back? the reason I ask is that it should and when the speedo is apart it is possible for the needle to jump over the little pin that stops it at 0mph and unwind the spring, when that happens the needle will not be accurate and will not return to zero. 

If that did happen you need to gently wind it back up. It is a trial and error process to get it right, if you wind it too tight it will read slow, too loose and it will not return (and read fast) so wind it one turn and put it in, then go for a drive, it it isn't right then pull it out again and wind it another turn. The speedo will need to be apart to get it over the pin, if you try to do it while the speedo is assembled you will need to flex the needle and there is a 90% chance it will break, it is after all 40+ year old plastic.

If the cast wheel isn't falling off,then don't take it off. It will just get looser every time you take it off, just check to make sure there isn't excessive play in the shaft and tap it down if necessary.

After investigating last night I did find the said spring. I’m 98% sure it’s broken and has been this whole time. The reason I got into the fix was because it would wind all the way back to the starting pin and stay there until I put in reverse. Thanks so much for your help. I’m now on the search for the spring 😏