• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions on tracking down short (fuse keeps blowing)???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Posted yesterday on the re-work of my alternator (bushings only). In the five years I have owned my 74 tii I have never had ANY electrical problems. I noticed yestereday that after getting my car back from having the alt. re-bushed that the radio and turn signals didn't work. Someone on the board suggested checking the fuse, I did-it was blown. Of course they don't "just" blow, but I stuck a new one in this morning anyway--it blew within about 10 minutes. Suggestions for tracking down the problem?

Guest Anonymous

wire that runs from the alternator to the engine block?

To find the culprit in the offending circuit, disconnect each item served by the fuse, one by one. When the fuse quits blowing, you've found the problem. Hope it's not an internal wiring problem. That doesn't happen very often (unless its physical damage to the wire, like chaffing) but when it does, it's a real PITA to find.

Good luck

Mike

Guest Anonymous

On a very final attempt to find this kind of problem, i usualy short the fuse and then jigle the wiring harness until smoke gets in...then you find where it start from, but this is only for winring problem such as a pinshed one...

This is overkill but it worked for me few times...(not on my 02)

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

- metal bracket below the alternator that supports the cable run to the alternator

- cable run that goes above and around the battery by the radiator

- both areas can get twisted/pinched during battery or alternator R&R.

Guest Anonymous

get a voltmeter and check the amperage of each the pieces in the circuit. look for the one that exceeds the amperage of the fuse, at least you will know where it is. also its very easy to get a positive ground where the wires pass through the fire wall. As the car bounces along the road it can chaffe on the metal where it passes through the firewall.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

the idiot installer created an intermittent short in a wire( he was fired for screwing up my car) and that caused fuse number 8?( from memory) to blow.It inops turn signals and radio same fuse as i recall on my 1971 12 volt car. It took me a while to trouble shoot the problem. Have you had any work done recently or fiddled with wires at all? you may have an exposed wire, or an inadvertent contact going on . It can happen from vibration over years, actually, from many situations. You will need to check component hook ups first- make sure the power feed to the radio is clean and correct. make sure the power source for the radio is also correct. your signal lights are probably OK, but you should remove them too and make sure all wires are in good repair. a thorough Visual check of affected systems usually yields the problem. I suffered a wierd gauge problem in my Inka for a year until i finally ripped into the nest under the steering column and found the bad connection. good luck. ///