• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque figures for ball joint mounting bolts

Mike Self

I checked my factory shop manual carefully and couldn't find a figure for the M8 bolts.  Odd since every other fastener in the entire front axle assembly has a torque figure, and there's an entire page devoted to drilling out the factory rivets to replace a ball joint, and then using bolts to hold the new one in place.

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The torque specification spreadsheet in the Technical Articles has it as 25 +8 NM as “Track rod arm (Pitman arm) at kingpin (strut housing)”. 

The names in that spreadsheet are a bit abstract so I would be interested in confirmation. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

4 hours ago, Simeon said:

Track rod arm (Pitman arm) at kingpin (strut housing)”.

I saw that but thought that meant the three "special bolts" (the ones with the safety wire holes in 'em) that hold those two parts together, not the 3 bolts that hold the ball joint to the lower control arm...or am I mistaken?  The terms used in the shop manual confuse me too!  And I'm too used to ft/lbs to conceptualize newton/meters.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Does this help?  

Metric Bolt Torque Table
Estimated with clamp load as 75% of proof load
as specified in ISO 898-1
Property
Class
 12.9 Socket Head 
Cap Screw
 Minimum Tensile 
Strength MPa
M6 - M16:  800
M20 - M30:  830
1040 1220
Nominal Size
and
Thread Pitch
Bolt Torque Specs in Foot Pounds or (Inch Pounds)
Dry Lubed Dry Lubed Dry Lubed

M8 x 1.25 (225) (169) (333) (242) (377) (284)

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for adding confusion.  (3-28-2024)