Leonel

Timing chain tensioner

39 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

My timing chain tensioner is as the picture shows.

When the engine is running, will it go back a little bit, is just too much to the front?

Any help please?

Thanks in advance.

Leonel

tens.jpg

Have you used a screwdriver as a lever to test the movement of the piston?  

Pushing against the tensioner to tighten the chain should show the piston moving out.  Releasing the pressure should see the piston retract.

Once that is confirmed you fill the void with oil and repeat the process.  You should see bubbles because the (piston) cylinder is filling with oil and air is released.  The piston will become quite firm against the tensioner, as the (air) bleeding causes the piston to hydraulically compress against the tensioner.

Any more-qualified members please pipe in with expertise.  I am but an enthusiastic amateur.

There is no oil in the oil reservoir below the tensioner.  The reservoir should be full up to the edge the tensioner shoe in hanging over.  It needs oil to hold the chain.  You must have had it just out.

Edited by jimk

Hi, 

It has no oil,  becouse i had it out to check it. Surprise, there was no steel ball between the spring and the piston. 

In the Picture, the shoe lever is hitting the aluminum,  so it does not tighten the chain more than it is now.

My question is: is it ok like this? 

Thanks,

Leonel

20181003_210441.jpg

Is your timing chain noticeably slack?

I'm also no expert either, but it doesn't seem right that the shoe should be topped out like that. I definitely had a good bit more clearance on my motor when I built it with all new kit.

It leads me to believe you've got some combination of worn tensioner, cam, or crank gear. 

-J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonel said:

Surprise, there was no steel ball between the spring and the piston. 

Did you look under the little pressed on cap on the tensioner.

1 hour ago, Leonel said:

In the Picture, the shoe lever is hitting the aluminum,  so it does not tighten the chain more than it is now.

With one hand, pinch the chain against the sprocket with your thumb and finger at 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  With your other hand try lifting the chain at 12 o'clock position.

If the chain raises up much, it's shows the links and pins are worn and time for a new chain before it wears out the sprockets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Did you look under the little pressed on cap on the tensioner.

I can hear something inside the tensioner. But should have a steel ball between the spring and the tensioner also?

It looks like the tensioner rail (black arm the tensioner pushes against) is badly worn with deep grooves.  If the timing chain, crank sprocket, and cam gear are all worn beyond spec, the timing chain tensioner will push/rattle against and possibly crack, the oil reservoir.  

Based on that photo you need at least a new chain. If the tensioner is touching the casting it can't do any tensioning.

1 hour ago, Leonel said:

I can hear something inside the tensioner. But should have a steel ball between the spring and the tensioner also?

No, no reason. The steel ball is small and acts as a ball check valve to hold the oil in the tensioner.  Oil will suck in but only gets out by leakage around the bore.

There is a short (37 seconds) video on YouTube captioned “burping bmw 2002 tii chain tensioner” which I believe shows the procedure described above by PaulTW.

7 hours ago, andyleonard said:

Based on that photo you need at least a new chain. If the tensioner is touching the casting it can't do any tensioning.

Yes, in my oppinion, at least, new chain, new tensioner and new chain rails.

The camshaft gear seems good, no wear at all. I need to check de crankshaft gear.

What could happen to make the chain like this? 

6 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

There is a short (37 seconds) video on YouTube captioned “burping bmw 2002 tii chain tensioner” which I believe shows the procedure described above by PaulTW.

I saw that vídeo, its enough to see that my tensioner is not working at all, since it hits the aluminum oil reservoir...

7 hours ago, jimk said:

No, no reason. The steel ball is small and acts as a ball check valve to hold the oil in the tensioner.  Oil will suck in but only gets out by leakage around the bore.

Maybe there was dirty on it, and the ball was stuck...