• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOOP makes me happy-interior

NYNick

2 hours ago, SoKvlt said:

I've got a bit of a weird favor to ask of anyone here. I can't get GOOP in Canada. Ordering through amazon for 2 containers ends up being around 80 dollars canadian + 45 dollars Shipping cost. If I paypal'd someone the cost of a few tubs + shipping + a little extra for your troubles would someone be able to ship some north of the boarder for me? The only GOOP product we get up here is adhesive. 

I can't imagine these various automotive hand cleaners are all that much different. It's not 'sandy' or gritty type stuff. Its smooth and lightly creamy, and inexpensive.  Go to your local automotive parts chain and see what they have for a twoonie. I'm betting it'll provide the same results. Try this stuff at Canadian tire. 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-cream-hand-cleaner-400-g-0381000p.html#srp

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Wow. After seeing your visor I'm sold. I replaced the headliner and I've been procrastinating with the visors because I figured I would need to have them recovered to look nice. They'll still be floppy as hell but I think I'll give the goop a shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

I am looking to put the original door cards and seats that came with my car back in.  Found this post and tried GOOP on one of the rear panels last evening.  It worked like a charm!  The results were pretty impressive.  I am sold.  

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

18 minutes ago, Charles in PA said:

I am looking to put the original door cards and seats that came with my car back in.  Found this post and tried GOOP on one of the rear panels last evening.  It worked like a charm!  The results were pretty impressive.  I am sold.  

Wait until you do the sun visor!

7 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

I forgot about this thread. Used a Magic Eraser on the headliner with pretty good luck.

Might go over it again with a little bit of GOOP. 

I rinsed the GOOP with water. Your headliner is perforated. I'm not sure how that would work  but maybe a test corner ?

• Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I was not going to use GOOP on the headliner, bought some Magic Erasers for that job.  The cardboard backing on the rear panel card has a bit of crack.  I was thinking some glue to repair the cracks.  Any other options short of new board? 

passenger door card rear.jpg

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

1 hour ago, Charles in PA said:

I was not going to use GOOP on the headliner, bought some Magic Erasers for that job.  The cardboard backing on the rear panel card has a bit of crack.  I was thinking some glue to repair the cracks.  Any other options short of new board? 

The first thing that came to mind for those cracks was a reinforcement piece of something, glued over the whole area instead of just gluing the cracks themselves. You could smear some glue on the cracks before attaching the custom cut reinforcement panel. This would integrate the surrounding door card as part of the repair. I am not sure if this would interfere with attaching the panel again, however. Something thin but strong, maybe?

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Charles, I like NYNick's reenforcement panel idea. If you spread glue on the open cracks I would ask the experts here if the glue could penetrate, stain, or harm the vinyl as it seeps through the cracks.

Off topic: I am sure Dan has been using Goop and many other "exotic" products for years.

Steve

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Charles in PA said:

I have had excellent results repairing cracked door card boards with original Gorilla glue.  I clean off any dust with plain water and with the surface slightly damp, apply the adhesive.  The dampness helps the polyurethane glue "stick" better and is recommended by the Gorilla folks.  Two other tips: if the crack is hard to hold together with clamps, etc. use some strips of gaffers tape, etc. to hold small sections together and glue the remaining exposed areas.  Once the glue cures, pull off the tape and glue the remaining areas.  Also the glue will foam and expand as it cures, but it can be sanded down easily to get clearance in a tight area or smoothed for re-upholstery work.

....back to lurk mode..... 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2018 at 10:07 PM, NYNick said:

Seems these guys used whatever scraps were handy for filler.

When I removed my original seats after I found my Recaros I found no less than 20 kitchen sponges each stacked like bricks in the seat-bottoms... At least the covers and frames were in great shape and was able to sell em.  

• Haha 1