• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

setting timing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the timing on my 02 is off slightly and i can find the timing mark on my crank pulley but i have nothing to line it up with. what am i supposed to use? also I see the marks shooting for the drivers side fender down under the water pump. is this correct, i figure maybe someone put the pulley on wrong or something since there is nothing to line the mark up with. Thansk for any help.

Guest Anonymous

2-8379906.JPG

....where it has been all along - stand on the driver's side , look behind the carb , near the starter, where the back of the engine block mates with the transmission, you will see an inspection hole cast in the trans clutch housing, and , if the flywheel edge is nice and clean , you'll see a "line" - then a "BALL" mark appear when you hold the rpm's at 1,500, and any vacuum hoses unplugged from the distributor while your checking at 1,500 rpm.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guest Anonymous

TAKE OFF THE VALVE COVER AND PUT THE CAR IN 5th OR 4th GEAR . WITH THE HANDBRAKE OFF , PULL THE CAR SO THAT THE ENGINE ROTATES . LOOK AT THE ROCKERS FOR #4 CYLINDER . STOP WHEN THE EXHAUST JUST FINISHES AND THE INTAKE IS JUST STARTING TO OPEN . THIS IS WHEN

#1 & #4 ARE AT TOP DEAD CENTER . NOW REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP . THE ROTOR SHOULD BE POINTING TO

THE PLUG WIRE FOR #1 . IF IT IS NOT , PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT AND ROTATE IT SO THAT IT DOES . IT MAY TAKE A FEW TRIES BRCAUS IT WILL TWIST GOING BACK IN . BUTTON EVERYTHING BACK UP AND TURN THE KEY .

ONCE YOU GET IT RUNNING , YOU CAN SET THE TIMING SO IT RUNS WELL .

Guest Anonymous

so is it supposed to idle at 1500rpm? that semms high. Or is that just eh rpms i use to adjust timing with? Thanks, Im new to these cars.

Guest Anonymous

I was taught to time my car like this. Idle should be at 900rpm's. Loosen the dist. nut and have the engine running, holding the it just above idle (like 1200). Turn the distributor slightly until the engine runs the smoothest. Tighten things back up. Works every time.

Guest Anonymous

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT BATTERY, OR COIL WIRE AT THE LEAST... CAN YOU IMAGINE IF COMPRESSION STARTED BY ACCIDENT AND GET RUNNED OVER TRYING TO GET YOUR MOTOR TO TDC????

Better way is to use a wrench and socket on the crank pulley to turn motor over by hand. And you'll find it turns over a LOT easier without the plugs in!

So all of that to say, get the car to TDC on #1 (compression stroke) and look where the rotor points to. It should point to the #1 cylinder. This is baseline timing..

Then use a timing light to look down that damned little hole in the tranny if you can....

Else, use this method.....

Use the throttle screw to set the RPM's up to about 3K, then advance the dizzy until the motor starts to miss, then back it off again until it's smooth. Reset the throttle screw to reasonable idle (I like around 900rpm), and go drive it.

---------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE 40, MSD ignition, Pertronix

Guest Anonymous

my throttle screw isnt even putting any pressure on the linkage. When I bought the car the PO whad retarded the timing and Im trying to get it back to normal. Ill try the timing light and the flywheel trick. Its running smoothly now, just at around 1200 rpms. If i turn the dizzy a little to drop the rpms down the engine really starts running rough. When I get home I can check out everything more thoroughly instead of just dinking with it. It could me more issues than just timing.