Scottjeffrey

Nice experience at A/C shop with interesting opinions.

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I took my evaporator in yesterday from my Fridgiking unit following Rob's advice on having it flushed and pressure tested. Kel Air in Fort Lauderdale has been my go to place for A/C work for decades. Jeff is a gem who allows me to bring my parts in. He did my E23's complete A/C overhaul 12 years ago and it still blows cold. I kept that one with R12. I told him my plans for the 2002, Sanden 508 type compressor, parallel flow condenser and Spal fan and my intention to stick with R12. He said I should go with R134a considering the parallel flow condenser. I told him I had already purchased 3 cans of R12. I couldn't believe his response. He said he trade me the R12 for some of his labor and parts charges (he will be getting me a proper expansion valve and installing it to the evaporator and if that wasn't cool enough (no pun intended), he said if it wasn't cold enough he'd do all the necessary work to change it back to R12, adding that he'd bet me a dollar it would be great with the R134a. What a guy. Can't wait to experience the results. Now to find someone to rebuild my evaporator assembly fan with any improvements to its CFM output that might be possible. Thanks again for all the help here. My fingers are crossed.

IMG_1490.JPG

Edited by Scottjeffrey
  • Like 1

That is nice to hear Steven. Looking forward to having mine up and working. 37 degrees would be heavenly.

2 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Yeah ive been R134a since day one and my AC blows 37 degrees. Never once thought about R12.

Agreed.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I got my evaporator back today, flushed and pressure tested (it passed perfectly!) and with its new expansion valve installed. Only $100 for it all. I am waiting on a new fan motor I think will fit ( I will know later today or Monday) for only $80. Thanks to Kidsaster's post from 2008! Turned out the motor he found back then came from a place only two miles from my house here in Fort Lauderdale and they are still in business and getting back to me later on whether they have one in house or have to order it.  Then after that I will finish rebuilding my heater box and reinstall them both in the car. Life can be good.

Scott

• Like 2

I wonder if you're shop would be OK with working with FAQers remotely?  Could be a good resource for a lot of folks.  Just a thought.  

Scott

• Thanks 1

Thats a neat idea, Scott. I will be sure to ask him next time I see him which shouldn't be long. By the way, great name :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I wish i could find someone like that in Vancouver

You probably could.

If it ever got hot up there.

:D

• Like 2

You probably could.

If it ever got hot up there.

The weather is crazy here. Two or three months with high 20’s low 30’s , not a drop of rain ... literally choking on the smoke from massive forest fires, then 8 months of pretty much solid rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just to close the loop. Good Karma!

Just got these given to me by a great local Vancouver company. Now I can finally get the thing pressure tested and back in the car.

Regards

5dee4bcd093d116e50ab6f8000aae34a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1