Sign in to follow this  
LimeySteve

Key sticks in Start position , any solutions ?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Occasionally the ignition key will stick in the start position , making the starter run with the engine !! I can feel the key stick sometimes ( with the battery disconnected for testing purposes it has a slight click  at start & will sometimes stick. Does anyone have a solution or experience with this problem.

Cheers

Hopefully it's the ignition switch.  Easily replaced.  If it's the tumbler mechanism it's more of a headache.

I would disconnect the switch and test the key.  

Cheers Paul , You mean remove  the plug ? 2 slotted screws !

Edited by LimeySteve

1 hour ago, LimeySteve said:

2 slotted screws !

Yes.

Reminds me of the time I was parked on a busy street.  Turned the key and NOTHING.  Got some guys to push start me.  When I got home I looked under the dash and the switch was hanging there.  Both screws had come loose, or more likely I didn't tighten them enough.

To follow up pm Paul's comment, if either screw is not tight that may be jus enough to cock the ignition so it appears to be locking in the start position.  FYI, i took one of the slotted screws to a local hardware dealer wont mention any names fastenal and matched them to socket head cap screws.  makes reinstall much easier because the socket head holds securely in 1/4 drive hex bit on the end of a long extension fitted to a 1/4 drive ratchet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up , I did that on my car this is another I'll try the screws first , tighten 1 before the other to see if that makes a difference.

If the previous suggestions didn't work, drop me a PM and I'll send you a column I did on dismantling and repairing a jammed ignition lock...

But before dismantling, try using some lock lubricant (powdered graphite in an evaporating solvent) Don't use oil or WD40--it'll just gum the works up further.

mike

• Like 2