Driv3r

Volvo calipers

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Are Volvo calipers easy to source? What would the average cost of a freshly rebuilt set with pads be? Any help is appreciated.

Yup.  Oreillys and autozone are good sources as well.  As well as eBay.  Readily available and pretty cheap.  But they are NOT a bolt on.  The mounting holes need to be filled and redrilled for a proper fit.  Otherwise the pad hangs over the rotor and wears the outside of the rotor and the lower side of the pad. Eventually you need new pads and rotors instead of just pads because of how it wears the rotors.  Ask me how I know lol.  Ireland sells them already modified or you can send them to Ireland for modification. 

• Like 1

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

i ran the volvo calipers for a while.  ZERO mods to caliper.  bolt on.  the overhang was about 1mm.  completely not an issue for performance or for pad or rotor wear.

the only thing that is needed is to add a washer between the caliper and the strut to center the caliper on the rotor.  EZ.

• Like 1

Well maybe I have something different.  My overhang is more than a mm.  If it was that little why the fuss?   I should edit my post.  They will bolt on.  (With the washer to center it) The pads will not wear quite right.  No performance issue?  Come on. The pad is hanging off the caliper.  Which means there is less stopping force because a section of pad is off the rotor.  Will it work. Sure. Will it work better than stock. Sure. But is there a performance hit.  Sure.  There has to be if I have part of my brake pads not contacting the rotor.  That’s why the Ireland Volvo upgrade kit has this mod done to it.  That’s why they offer the service.  If it didn’t matter they wouldn’t do it.  

Edited by jrhone

Well maybe I have something different.  My overhang is more than a mm.  If it was that little why the fuss?   I should edit my post.  They will bolt on.  (With the washer to center it) The pads will not wear quite right.  No performance issue?  Come on. The pad is hanging off the caliper.  Which means there is less stopping force because a section of pad is off the rotor.  Will it work. Sure. Will it work better than stock. Sure. But is there a performance hit.  Sure.  There has to be if I have part of my brake pads not contacting the rotor.  That’s why the Ireland Volvo upgrade kit has this mod done to it.  That’s why they offer the service.  If it didn’t matter they wouldn’t do it.  

Could it be model/part number dependant? When I fitted mine on my 74, it centred perfectly. I sold my 74 to another local club member. I’ll ask him this weekend if he has issues with wear. I have another fully rebuilt pair but won’t be able to test it on my tii.

Yeah, they hang outside a bit, stock.

(.070" thick washer, btw)

It wasn't enuf to matter in my case, either, and I tracked that car a lot.

I eventually slotted the holes after I got a vertical mill- never bothered to fill.

Nothing fell off.

Didn't notice much difference in braking force or pad wear, either.

But of course, this was back in the days of the $3000 daily driver squarie, when the internet was gui- based....

t

Overhang is more than 1mm and the pads do wear with a lip.  If you are doing it right, you're repositioning the caliper mounting holes, period.

No it's not a "part number thing".

If my memory serves me correctly, the Volvo calipers aren’t the correct solution for tii struts. The bolt spacing is different and the 3 series hub that’s also used has different size bearings. Doesn’t the vented calipers on a  tii solution use calipers from a 5 series?

Edit: yup, I was right. 

Edited by Simeon

yes, according to my notes, E12/E24 through 1981 for calipers

If my memory serves me correctly, the Volvo calipers aren’t the correct solution for tii struts. The bolt spacing is different and the 3 series hub that’s also used has different size bearings. Doesn’t the vented calipers on a  tii solution use calipers from a 5 series?

Edit: yup, I was right. 

Where did you get the Volvo calipers being installed on tii idea? lol

6 hours ago, Driv3r said:

I have another fully rebuilt pair but won’t be able to test it on my tii.

When you said this. 

When you said this. 

You took that out of context. I said I’ll ask the guy in my local club to give me feedback on his Volvo calipers. I do have a fully rebuilt pair (spare), but I can’t test fit (to see if the caliper hanging out) on my tii (because it’s a tii and Volvo caliper won’t fit). lol

True, when I stop and think. I just wanted to avoid an expensive mistake.