rapandi

Hand Brake Ratchet Teeth

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi Team,

I am trying to work out how I can fix the broken teeth on this ratchet. I can't source a decent one here in Aus. 

Option 1 - Weld the broken bit and then shape the teeth using a file / dremel?

Option 2 - Cut one out of a plate steel and then harden it?

Any ideas?

Regards

Raj

42780526_10156229020666888_1871014455672832000_n.thumb.jpg.21f8140142c8a6b434d7d6036bbb2697.jpg

The damage is so close to the bottom of travel for the e brake handle, i doubt it would be noticeable.  the rectangular cutout locks the mechanism to the car body, when the handle is pulled upward teeth on the end of the plunger rod disengage to allow the cables to be pulled setting the brake.

Of all the things i have re-installed after taking apart this little part gives me more trouble than even the dreaded "sping" on the rear brakes.

I'd install it and forget it.  Alternatively, i can send you a good used part.

Gale H

Shipping to Aus, USPS, depending on location about 15, first class package.  Priority about doubles the price

3 hours ago, rapandi said:

Any ideas?

Option 3.  Install it. Gale H nailed it.

2 hours ago, 71bmr02 said:

Of all the things i have re-installed after taking apart this little part gives me more trouble

I did this not too long ago and recall a trick: Yeah! I remember.

Depress and secure the button in the recessed position.  I used a hose clamp and a zap strap IIRC.  The button spring is pretty strong. The lever teeth are now disengaged until you remove the clamp.

-   Insert the lever, pivot pin and ratchet piece simultaneously onto the car body.

-   Feed the cables into position.

-   Release the button.

+ 1 on "use as is."  Mine has been missing several teeth for a couple of decades and hasn't caused any problems. 

The trick to keeping teeth intact is to depress the button when you're setting the handbrake.  Then when the lever is at its highest position, release the button.  That way you're not wearing either the teeth or the ratchet pawl.

mike

I think those teeth wear from the vibration of the handbrake lever when in the disengaged position and the car is driving. No impact to the operation of the brake when applied. I would just use it. 

I was always taught to keep the button pressed when applying the brake to prevent the back of the ratchet from wearing. An old MOT test in the UK was to back the handbrake sideways when applied to see if the brake would drop off due to wear of the ratchet. 

If that tooth is right where you want to set the brake, I'd just loosen the cables a touch so that you use the next tooth...

AKA run it how it is.