Sign in to follow this  
NYNick

Transporting engine

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

1) My engine is currently on a stand in my garage. I would like to transport it via my Landcruiser ; ) to a shop somewhat nearby. What is the best way to support it? It still has the oil pan attached (no oil) but the transmission has been removed. That's going too. I'm guessing the oil pan would get damaged if there was too much weight put on it but I hesitate to remove it just for transportation. Do I use some kind of 2 by 4 support system?

2) I left the temporary hoist bolts in place from when I rented an engine hoist. One is just above and to the right of the fan and above the Kfish belt housing, and the other is just above the flywheel. I can't remember if I used more than these two bolts to hoist the engine or maybe more. Any suggestions? 

Thx guys.

Nick

Most people just strap it to a pallet with the exhaust side down.  Wood against metal won't cause any issues.

Me, I'm a little obsessive:1449652124_CRATE2SML.thumb.jpg.b403bf3b2d61ae00c450dd3119ac8bb9.jpg1484106308_CRATE1SML.jpg.67e09a4ced40f0df55597c12dfe552f8.jpg

• Like 2

Well you can set it on the pan no problem but, you'll still need some support for the exhaust side engine mount  to keep it from tipping a 4x4 works well in the garage but in a vehicle I use a plywood frame (think box with no bottom) that's just high to fit under that mount and then strap it down side to side using the vehicle hard points.

50 minutes ago, andyleonard said:

Upside down plastic milk crate. Oil pan fitsl. Strap it down well.

+1 for milk crate (the type with metal band preferred...).

17 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Me, I'm a little obsessive:

A little?

I didn't know about the milk crate, thanks.

Marshal (Mlytle?) had a write up about using a couple of 2x4s to get it done nicely.  I think in the articles section.

• Haha 1

A box made from 2x8s (I think they're wide enough) on a piece of heavy plywood or a small pallet works well. The engine sits upright. Size it to fit the oil pan flange.

I've seen them thrown into/onto a tire.  Might work for a short distance if tilted just right & strapped down.

• Like 1