Sign in to follow this  
kaptanoglu

250mm drum upgrade - installation HELP (spring related)

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

In an effort to get a little more balanced braking, but still fit the stock steelies, I ordered the IE 250mm (320i) rear drum upgrade. I have benefitted from a couple writeups, but came across an issue, and need some quick help. 

I am putting things bact together, and preparing to put the “b$## of a spring” on the new linings/backing plates, but the new backing plate doesn’t have the same lip to hold the spring that you find on the 2002 version (pictured).

? - Do I use it anyway (though it seems it would need the lip to keep from springing everything off), or need a different spring?

TIA

5B269A2C-AB8B-49B2-88A0-DE25253E682E.jpeg

After more digging, it looks like it is a different spring, and I am pretty disappointed that IE didn’t include that with the kit.  Nothing like gearing up for a project, and getting jammed up over a screwed up order

One last thing on this - There appear th be retention clips on the linings as well (also not currently in my parts pile). I found a good image of what I am shooting for:

A9B1406F-6F78-45F5-9C38-37F6230D79A0.jpeg.e5c0ecf54f7eb5da4c34dc384933bc22.jpeg

I’ll be glad when I have it screwed back together, and hope it was worth the PITA.  On a lighter note, I DID get the new drums painted nicely with BBQ paint. No more rust peeking through.