worzella

Washer nozzle issues

16 posts / 573 viewsLast Reply

Always the little things. My washer nozzles stop squirting and I clean them out and they clog again

I cleaned resevoir and even cut off a few mm of tip to get full diameter. No luck!

So now I am ready to make up another solution to problem instead of shelling out bucks for new nozzle set

Has anyone rigged up alternative to OEM nozzles?  Tubes from pump squirt like hell if I disconnect, so I know it is nozzle issue

Thanks - Randy

I would try and rig something up to back flush them. You may even be able to rig up the hoses so that they are jury rigged over the nozzles. You can then run the pump and push the water in the nozzle and out the back.  If not that then a big syringe and some small hose. 

How about trying a different set of nozzles? This is not a problem I’ve experienced or heard about previously — which is not to say it doesn’t exist!

And maybe “squirting like hell” from the clear plastic hoses is not dispositive proof that the washer pump is effective. I have witnessed a washer pump impeller that slips on the motor’s shaft and made good noises when tested dry, but couldn’t wash the windshield. Swapping out that motor solved my problem.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

As the nozzles get old, they build up deposits of minerals and they also corrode. I know.

Soak in CRL or a vinegar solution. You could try mild vinegar mix in your washer bottle too.

My experience was mixed so I bought nice shiny new ones that work all the time now and my car doesn't smell like vinegar.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I've had mine clog up like that.  I unclogged them by letting them soak in a pot with hot water and then reconnecting them to let the water flow through 

Pull a wire from a wire brush, fold a piece of tape over one end for a handle, and you have a Factory BMW washer nozzle reamer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyleonard said:

Pull a wire from a wire brush, fold a piece of tape over one end for a handle, and you have a Factory BMW washer nozzle reamer.

Ya got a part number for that tool?  😋

Regards,

Steve

Sort of on topic, if you think your old pump is part of the problem, this is an area where (unlike, say, carburetors) cheap modern Chinese parts work quite well.  Here is what I put in my car, and the best part is that the original 2002 wiring connector actually plugs right on to the pump!  Cheaper, smaller, and more powerful than the original pump, plus a nice new ABS bottle.  Downside is you don't keep the original VDO bottle, so depends how much you care about originality.  Also comes with some new nozzles if you want to try using them instead of the original ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00495UQT2

I use an oxy/acetylene torch tip cleaning tool kit that has a bunch of different sized wire.  Clean once in a while and squirts good.

• Like 1

That would be a good mod. I hate that single steam of bullshit that the nozzle makes. My dam wipers are so slow it all runs off before the wiper hits it. 

However, you can rotate the nozzle so it shoots at anyone standing on the side of your car. 

Even better, disconnect the hose and run it into the interior of your car. Fill your reservoir full of coffee and have almost endless warm refills. 

Thanks lads!!

- Pump is new and works fine

- I did ream with stiff wire and they worked for a while then stopped. 

I suspect some crud in bottle hoses pump etc so propably will rip whole system out and clean and buy new nozzles or...

look into Vespa alternative!!

Randy

Vespa - do those new nozzles bolt right into existing hole and sit high enough to spray through hood slots... or did you have to improvise some “ risers” of some sort?

Randy

I keep a thin length of stainless steel wire wrapped around the hood latch bar, handy to uncoil and poke down the washer nozzle whenever it clogs.  Mine are original and have never given trouble.  

I may be confusing 02 nozzles with those on another car, but I seem to recall a check ball inside the nozzle assembly to keep the hoses full of washer fluid between squirts.  You might try soaking the removed nozzles in vinegar or CLR overnight and see if that helps...

mike