David Layton

Hose Set for tii

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Since we have the motor out, all of the hoses on the tii should be replaced.  IE has a silicon set.  What are the advantages of this set over normal rubber set?  I am in the St. Louis area, so we do get hot weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real advantage of the silicone set is they will last much longer than the rubber set and they can be cleaned easily if thats important to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The real advantage of the silicone set is they will last much longer than the rubber set and they can be cleaned easily if thats important to you.

 

The downside — and this is purely my opinion, not fact — is the appearance of silicone hoses: slick and shiny. I, for one, believe that “flexible” and visible automotive components — my definition of “flexible” here embraces rubber and silicon hoses — should not be shiny, like painted metal components. My tires, for instance, are black, but they are not shiny. And my hoses are black, but not shiny. I may be in a minority, but I would view a silicone hose as out of character in a 50-year-old car.

 

I won’t dispute the longevity of silicone hoses, although I’ve yet to see a 40-year-old silicone hose, whereas I’ve seen 40-year-old rubber hoses still in use.... 😋

 

So, are there forum members here who see rubber hoses failing in five years? Ten years? Mine tend to last a long time, much longer than most people keep most cars. And how long are you going to keep your car? Is the buyer going to love your silicone hoses, or not?

 

My input....

 

The photos below reflect my aesthetic, YAMV (“Your Aesthetic May Vary”)! Check out my dull XAS’s...

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

DEB306F3-6A56-4B5C-B8DC-2E072B160F31.jpeg

2B738289-C6DE-4D56-AC32-4D977B9DC230.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike the Walloth&Neisch set, it appears the Ireland set is complete.  The W&N set was missing the KFish oil drain hose and the valve cover to air cleaner hose.  Extra cost and a pain to get shipped after the fact.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Conserv said:

So, are there forum members here who see rubber hoses failing in five years? Ten years?

 

No.  Most of my replacement hoses are near 20 years old, but I admit they aren't overly abused.

 

I'm with you Steve.  I prefer the stock rubber look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

I'm also with Steve I prefer the rubber look over the shinny or colored hoses but thats  my opinion and if I did get a car with silicone hoses I'd just leave them on the car, I know that silicon hoses last many hundreds of thousand of mile on semi trucks but 02 have much lower underhood temps than most new cars and the way most are used these days, IE weekend drives, most of the real advantages of silicon are moot. 

 

PS  when I drove my 02's as daily drivers and track days I did change the hoses about every 5 years.

Edited by Son of Marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my question is to Conserv, whose relay rack did you use under hood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
15 minutes ago, jerryasi said:

my question is to Conserv, whose relay rack did you use under hood?

 

That’s the factory 4-slot relay rack that came on all square taillight cars (1974 models through the end of 1502 production in 1977). Three slots were filled from the factory (low beam, high beam, and horn) unless you had factory-installed fog lights (the latter was not available from the factory on U.S.-spec cars). I have fog lights, and driving lights, now. I use the extra slot for the fog lights and there is a fifth relay mounted to the inner fender, just below the relay rack.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

Edited by Conserv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

 

No.  Most of my replacement hoses are near 20 years old, but I admit they aren't overly abused.

 

I'm with you Steve.  I prefer the stock rubber look.

 

I go through the pain every ~5ish years with stock rubber along with replacing my KF belt. 

PM is preferred to the side of the road. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

 

I go through the pain every ~5ish years with stock rubber along with replacing my KF belt. 

PM is preferred to the side of the road. 

 

 

Wow, Colin,

 

Would you consider yourself fairly risk-averse, or have you witnessed actual failures of hoses and KF belts within five-ish years?

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

With the silicone hoses, has anybody scuffed them up a bit to diminish the sheen? 

 

I got an IE set for my tii. I am currently on the performance/durability mode for our rallies. I'll look under the hood and go "Good, good, good..." rather than "Correct, correct, correct."  If the body ever gets repaired and painted I might revert back to bone-stock. 

Edited by SteveJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

With the silicone hoses, has anybody scuffed them up a bit to diminish the sheen? 

 

Perhaps there is a flat/matte paint one could use on the silicone hoses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Conserv said:

The downside — and this is purely my opinion, not fact — is the appearance of silicone hoses: slick and shiny. I, for one, believe that “flexible” and visible automotive components — my definition of “flexible” here embraces rubber and silicon hoses — should not be shiny, like painted metal components. My tires, for instance, are black, but they are not shiny. And my hoses are black, but not shiny. I may be in a minority, but I would view a silicone hose as out of character in a 50-year-old car.

 

+ 1 on non-shiny hoses

 

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

The photos below reflect my aesthetic, YAMV (“Your Aesthetic May Vary”)! Check out my dull XAS’s...

 

+1 on non-shiny size correct / period correct tyres with tubes (XAS on left, Sumitomo on right).

 

IMG_3814.thumb.JPG.796ba52a835440c403a72a860d167a4f.JPG 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Conserv said:

 

Wow, Colin,

 

Would you consider yourself fairly risk-averse, or have you witnessed actual failures of hoses and KF belts within five-ish years?

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

I am risk averse.

The only time I was stranded was when my KF belt broke back ~'78 (may have been the original belt) and yes I keep a trunk full of spares. 

I've had the heater hose leak when I lived in So Ca (Venice area) so they got included in the that rotation. 

I also change the fuel filter every couple of years to avoid sputtering down the road. Regular fluid changes (brake and radiator) are all part it. 

Besides that, I have to skin my knuckles every so often.... 

I think I'm due for fuel lines but I need to check my maintenance log...

 

Colin 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, a year’s worth of engine bay grime is all it takes to dull the shine a little.

(Fit from IE is good, although I did have to call for one was missing, sent out no issues)

Now I wouldn’t do the blue hoses... that’s where I draw the line

7CA3AA27-F285-4C6C-A66E-32837CEF8811.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now