Pouya

3 piece dash new in box

38 posts / 2759 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
On 11/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, Dosky said:

Sorry, that is a typo. I have a 1974 model 2002. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed 2004. 

You can make a 3-piece dash work in your car, but....your car originally had a 1-piece dash. Mint 1-piece dashes — there are still NOS 1-piece dashes around because they remained available from BMW until ca. 2013 — sell for $800 to $1,200 or a beat-up 1-piece can be redone by Just Dashes for $2,000.  3-piece dashes were used up until 1970-ish (April 1971? Mike S., help me out here!). 2-piece dashes replaced the 3-pieces dashes and were used until the end of the round taillight era.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I have had four different 02s but i never have removed a dash.  I'll look for a one piece.  Mine has been covered in leather and I'm not real crazy about it.  It was like this when I bought the car.  This seems like a popular thing to do right now.  I have been in touch with Just Dashes and may go that route.

(edited)
15 hours ago, otisdog said:

I think Steve's prices on NOS one piece dashs are a bit dated...would love to buy @ those prices.

They might be.... 😉

Of course, the $3,000 dash has only made its appearance within the last two months — and suddenly there are a few. Previously, $2,000 was the ceiling.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Is the dash still available? Will it work for a 1973 2002tii?

Is it truly new in box (perfect/flawless).

Not sure how to review replies on this format.

Can text me at (530) 852-2586 

Beginning a restoration project for my wife's dream car (I'm new to this world)

Jeff

Jeff, not my business to explain things here but as a fellow 2002er I ran into this problem when I sold my exact same NOS 3 piece dash recently. This dash fits the early 1600/2002 cars properly mainly because the mounting points are different than your 72tii and also the bottom of the dash ends abruptly due to needing the long wrap around chrome pieces that attach to the dash on only early cars. Now that's not to say you cant make this work but it won't be correct for your car if you care about authenticity, then you must modify the mounting holes to match your mounting points and last but not least you have to find those chrome pieces to complete the bottom of the dash. Oh and the heater, defrost controls are different also.

Interior3.jpg

• Like 2

I have decided to put this dashboard back in the market. Its a new 3 piece dashboard never installed, still in the box. I was saving it for my tii restoration but 3 piece is not the correct dashboard for tii. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, Pouya said:

I have decided to put this dashboard back in the market. Its a new 3 piece dashboard never installed, still in the box. I was saving it for my tii restoration but 3 piece is not the correct dashboard for tii. 

There are multiple three-piece dashboards, as each of the three components had two different versions:

Lower Piece:

1.  Designed to hold chrome trim along the front of the lower piece (all Euro-spec cars from 1966 until April 1971; U.S.-spec cars from 1966 through October-ish 1967)

2.  Designed to accommodate U.S. crash standards, and, thus, with padding in lieu of chrome trim (U.S.-spec cars from October-ish 1967 until April 1971).

Upper Piece:

1.  Without ridges to stop items from sliding along parcel shelf (I don’t know when the ridges appeared, it was sometime after 1968).

2.  With ridges to stop items from sliding along parcel shelf. FunElan has already pointed out that the upper piece appears to have ridges.

Binnacle:

1.  Plastic (March 1966 until January 1967?).

2.  Simulated vinyl (January 1967? until April 1971).

I’d guess a buyer will want to know what version they’re buying, or not.... 😉

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1