• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Brake Dust Shield Answer - more info than you want

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Pursuant to my querry of Monday night, I ended up using the e21 dust shields in my BB upgrade. Much less cutting than if I modified the shields from the '02.

It was easy. After cleaning them up, I postioned them over the spindle so the rearward caliper bolt holes were clear of the caliper cutout in the shield. Then marked the location of the 2 small holes on the lower part of the strut where the shield retaining bolts go and drilled new 1/4 inch holes in the shields. Slightly too big holes allows some wiggle room for allignment. Then I bolted them on and marked the position of the upper forward caliper bolt hole, which is not used for anything, to provide a 3rd mounting hole. Then held the new Volvo caliper in place to see where I needed to trim the dust shield, which was very minimal - three small points from the caliper cut out. Bench grinder (dremel would work too), spray paint and re-install. Put on the hub and rotor to check clearance - All good. I have not actually installed the calipers yet but it

looks great so far. Oh yeah, had to remove the bracket thingy spot-welded to the back-side of one of the e21 shields - dremel with cut-off wheel.

Paul in Richmond

'70 Chamonix - not in time for NC Vine fest