73tiiDavidPA

Most Important Garage Addition Ever

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

While I do keep an extinguisher in all my vehicles, I had just generally spaced on one for the garage.  There are technically 3 in the garage because there are one in the cars, but not something readily at hand. Wandering the aisles the other day in the auto-parts section I figured $38 is money well spent.  Even the wife approved... lol

IMG_5766.thumb.JPG.a035b3fc9329a860a5b44b74760429a7.JPG 

• Like 2

I've got 2 extinguishers, one at each end.  I've also got this fun addition, which I recently found doubles as an emergency eyewash station.  

fount.jpg

• Like 5

Good. This happened to me in 2004. Don't let it happen to you. 

I keep one on the wall in the garage about the same size as yours, as well as one right next to me if i'm welding or soldering etc. 

main.jpg

• Sad 1

Fire bottle

Eye wash bottle

First aid kit

Extra safety glasses (now with reader lenses)

Phone

- should be in everyone's shop.

Funny thing, at one of my jobs I had to fight to get them to put in a first aid kit. They refused to do eye wash so I brought my own in.

• Like 1

5 x 6kg fire extinguishers +  6kg CO2 extinguisher  - this will go first as it does not make a mess like others.

1 fire blanket

A fire extinguisher is really only useful if it can be gotten to in a hurry I have a 5# bottle between the garage doors like David's and a 2# bottle by the door into the house and a additional 2# bottle that is in a 4" pvc tube mounted to my welding cart, I'm pretty sure i'll add one at my work bench soon.  As a side note when welding on the car I have a 5 gal bucket with a old bath towel soaking in water at hand in case I start the undercoating or adhesive on fire it's much neater than the fire bottle and will cool the area below flash levels.

I have a few extra abc fire extinguishers that are like new, and inspected within the last few years.

If anybody in the Bay Area needs one( or two) let me know. Free, of course :))

bob

One good-sized extinguisher by the service door in each garage, plus a big one in the downstairs coat closet (middle of the downstairs floor) plus another big one in the bedroom closet.  

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses a big wet towel when welding.  Even bettet than a cotton towel is half an old wool single bed blanket (like an old army blanket).  Wool burns poorly (ever seen a sheep on fire?)--much more so than cotton.

Fire around gasoline is scary--it's an easy way to lose your car and your house.  

mike

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

Excellent ideas  That water cooler looks like the one I took sips from in Elementary school.  Does it stay on if you rotate the knob all the way around?

Can’t rotate all the way around as the handle will hit the shield part, but yeah it stays on in either direction.  Nice flow and ice cold.  Always wanted one. It’s an older Ebco Oasis like you find at most schools and shops.  Picked it up for $120 at the local Restore shop.