rapandi

How do I check the wiring harness?

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi Team,

As part of the restoration process I cleaned my wiring harness and retaped it. I have it installed back in to the car. I also carried out a continuity check on the harness. I am a while away from installing the engine back in the car. In the pic below it shows the fuse box as not being wired but it is now. I have hooked up all the lights, horn, dash cluster gauge, tail lights etc. Between when now and when I install the engine, is there anyway I could run current through the harness (via battery) to check that most things work (like lights, horn etc etc). If the answer is yes then how do I do that? Like do I just place the battery in the batter tray and connect the harness to the battery (I would have to work out which wire to connect though)?

Anyway - I am no electrician and so any guidance / pointers will really help me.

Thank you.

Regards

Raj

IMG_9365.thumb.jpg.a9d7defc53ac1d093ff0dda9b72b2c73.jpgIMG_E7765.thumb.JPG.3d31c9faa6471c0ab4bced6ede13df28.JPG

Pull all your fuses before connecting the battery. You still have the unfused wiring to the horn relay, ignition coil and ignition switch to double check so check these first. Once you have the power on to the fusebox you can progressively, double check the connections and then add fuses and check the operation of everything on that fuse. No magic really just double check every connection starting from the fuse, through any intermediate connections to the load and then to ground. Once you have done everything on a fuse then add the correct size fuse and see what works.

Work in a systematic way, circuit by circuit and you should be fine. Get a paper copy of the wiring diagram and tick off each connection as you check it. 

• Like 3

On 9/24/2018 at 4:31 PM, Simeon said:

Pull all your fuses before connecting the battery. You still have the unfused wiring to the horn relay, ignition coil and ignition switch to double check so check these first. Once you have the power on to the fusebox you can progressively, double check the connections and then add fuses and check the operation of everything on that fuse. No magic really just double check every connection starting from the fuse, through any intermediate connections to the load and then to ground. Once you have done everything on a fuse then add the correct size fuse and see what works.

Work in a systematic way, circuit by circuit and you should be fine. Get a paper copy of the wiring diagram and tick off each connection as you check it. 

Thanks for this Simeon. I will have a go at it this weekend and report back.