• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to transport engine in a pickup truck??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have any suggestions how I should do this? Should I build a

cradle for it? Simply use tie downs to balance it? Or just lay it on a

side? I'm only going a short distance (less than 2 miles) on surface

streets, and will be renting a uhaul truck to transport it to my

mechanic.

Thanks

dug

--

76 Mintgrun

Guest Anonymous

004.jpg

Build a frame for the base with outriggers. Probably not necessary to drop it off, but you'll want it when you pick it up, and it looks all nice. Don't forget to cut a notch fot the oil plug.

Guest Anonymous

I just use a tie-down strap to hold it on, and it makes a convienient $0 engine stand if you need to store it too :)

Guest Anonymous

When I shipped my engine 400 miles via common carrier, I used a combination of home-made cradle like Matt's picture and fastened that to a free firewood pallet like Patrick suggests.

Drain the oil first.

For a 2-mile trip, the tire and straps are all you need. You can carry it in a car trunk this way, save yourself the cost and hassle of renting the truck.

-Jerry

Guest Anonymous

2x6's with 2x4's lag bolted to the bottoms, then added casters at all 4 corners - made it real easy to move the engine around.

If you shave one of the end 2x6's down a little, it's possible to bolt a trans to the motor and still lift both out of the cradle while still bolted together.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds silly, but use a milk crate. Milk crates seem to be designed with an M10 oil pan in mind - it fits in (motor upright) like a glove ;) Cinch it up with some ratchet straps and you're ready to rock.