73tiiDavidPA

Dealer Parts Guy : what make is a 2002tii ?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I phone to see if my Plenum gaskets I ordered have arrived, and the parts guy asks on the phone what make is a 2002tii?  I guess the sort customer orders by make, so he wanted to know where to look.  They carry BMW, Mercedes, and Chevrolet.  I suppose the most volume in pickups and SUVs (the preferred thing to drive around in SC and haul nothing).  

Someone on the board last time I mentioned this couldn't believe two of three German rivals under the same roof, so I snapped a photo for chuckles.  I agree I've never seen BMW and MB at the same place.  

IMG_5746.thumb.JPG.b49692bfb0a2d4f66708afcadc91ae6d.JPG  

• Confused 1

Great stuff.

When my daughter was in college she drove my ‘76 02 a lot.

While taking a marketing course, she decided to do her research paper on BMW and drove to the nearest BMW dealership in Columbia MO in the fall of 2001.
While gathering info, she mentioned to the dealership folks that her Dad had a 2002.

They said, “ I am sorry, you must be mistaken, the 2002’s are not out yet.”
She replied “My Dad’s car is a 1976 BMW 2002.”

They had no clue what she was talking about.

SAD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Has happened more than a few times to me....

Very thankful to be friends with the parts manager of BMW Monterey.....has been a tremendous help to me getting OEM parts, great pricing and they are always 'right'.

Edited by markmac

I've never seen the two brands under one roof, but in some areas where large conglomerates own many dealerships it's not too rare in the same town

that's like Ford & Chevy under one roof

But BMW and Merc are at opposite ends of the building. Chevy must be their mediator.

Can't use the usual car shopping tactics. You: "Well, Bob, if you can't make that deal maybe I should just go to the Mercedes dealer."

Sales guy Bob: flipping his name tag over..."Hi, I'm Bob, welcome to Mercedes."

21 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

So I phone to see if my Plenum gaskets I ordered have arrived, and the parts guy asks on the phone what make is a 2002tii?  

Let's pray that they aren't a BMW Classic Authorized dealer!

On 9/22/2018 at 6:12 PM, 73tiiDavidPA said:

SUVs (the preferred thing to drive around in SC and haul nothing).

EVERYWHERE, not just SC! I'll never understand it.  Classic argument from the guys I work with is always: "But what IF you need to haul something?" To which I always reply: "That's what a trailer hitch is for. . . and the trailer (also easier to load, btw.) I don't need to drag to work everyday." But I'm still the odd one out, it seems!

My dad does better yet: he has a Vibe with fold flat seats and likes to help the guys in pickups at Home Depot tie the orange ribbons on to the ends of their wares sticking out of their beds.  He then loads his 8 foot lumber into the Vibe and closes the rear hatch! GULP!