• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA paint job recommendation?

Feefela

Hi everyone!

I am looking to get my girl painted back to her original Patallblau. There are about a dozen small screw holes from when the bumpers were replaced and one big hole in the front. Do you think I could get a reasonable paint job for 5k? Can anyone recommend a good place in Southern California?

Thanks everyone!!!

IMG_1201.jpg

Beat me to it....

You can read about my paint and if you are at any of the upcoming events like the Ireland open house or SoCal Vintage meet you can see it in person.  Its not perfect, but you won't get perfect for $5k.  For under $2k...you can get it painted in TJ.  It will probably be better than most $5-8k paint jobs north of the border.  I wanted a lot done and my estimates were in the $10k range.  My car has been done for over 2 years and it still looks great.  I wouldn't hesitate to get it done again.  A friend of mine took their 2015 Q5 there for accident repair and you can't tell there was any damage and that car is black.  Perfect match.  There are at least 3 other FAQ members that ave had their cars done since mine.  They may be quiet lurkers but the point is this particular shop is reputable and does good work at a good price.  I was in contact with them constantly and they had my car 2 months and I made at least 4 trips to check on the car.  I had the headliner redone when I did the paint, I wasn't happy with it and they told me to come down and they would fix it...I dragged my feet and I called them and yes..2 years later they fixed it.  They stand behind their work.  While I was down there for the headliner, I had them wax and polish the car.  Heres what it looks like now over 2 years after I had it done.  No fading, cracking, peeling, no issues with it at all. Its not for everyone, you have to be comfortable leaving your car in another country...but this shop has 24 hour security and 95% of their business is late model European Cars and classic hot rods and sports cars.  When I went back there were 6 VW Busses being done.

IMG_1631.thumb.jpg.1119c848f676e27019b05df93e040274.jpgIMG_1630.thumb.jpg.f1e1ef759645c31b526784c59ebba948.jpg

• Like 2

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I'm on the opposite side of the country so I can't give you referrals but I can tell you what I did...

Budget was a factor for me and I had planned to shoot the car myself but after spending LOTS of time on body work and filling trim holes I wanted the car to look better than I could offer it.

I went into a local paint supplier and asked them to give me a few names of "great painters with great prices". They gave me names of 3 different painters (all probably from the Tijuana area) and after meeting with the 3 painters I went with raymundo at mundos auto body. All three recommendations seemed great but the thing that sold me on Raymundo was that he has been painting cars for about 40 years and said that he sprayed another 2002 about 30 years ago.

All in all the paint job cost me about $1500 and he did an absolutely amazing job. My car was completely prepped and primed and had no glass installed so yours would probably be a little more. I couldn't be happier. I still need to bring it back to have it cut and buffed but there is almost zero orange peel and very, very few imperfections. He told me the cut and buff will be included at no charge when I bring it back but I'm gonna throw him $100 anyway. Long story short, if you want an awesome paint job at a very reasonable price you may have to cross a border, or use someone that crossed a border themselves at some point. abc5c2223d5244668f5e4838a60f1dc0.jpg&key=9b75e9ae9c8d25341d2f93fc9a5a02bb7d555d821aa09d15f3e25f723715d2e142c755da7c5f278dd925aa87c54e6a45.jpg&key=91f1167327840381e91ac850218542ab23028c35064aaca17874c829d1b7119020480b7c6a7640c7e2229ce4f06b594b.jpg&key=1cd104f9cabf3b99e83b55e90f5bc4766342b9c910e0bda7f2818669fb0c77266db9fdf1c02ec2e3f47e351ced93c1e9.jpg&key=0a61ca89394f58c7b4ae766d6ee56602cf23720a8ed32718875db6928d1e9a02

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you don't want to deal with the border crossing, I would recommend Classics Auto Body and Collision in Ramona, CA.  They did my 1975 BMW 2002 Mintgrun Car and do all the cars for Bill Holmes at Bavarian Rennsport.  You can check out the process and results in my blog below.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Ok, so has anyone "shipped" a car to Los Ponchos?     Living in the Midwest, it is hard to drop off and then make frequent trips to insure it is getting done.

Edited by evil02

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Word of warning. Los Panchos has new ownership.  I had an Alfa Romeo painted there last year for $1,800 and it was horrible. At least a 10 footer Prep was poor and color didn’t completely match in parts of the car I would not go to the trouble of taking a car to TJ again based on my experience

If you want the car and I look good be prepared to pay a little more

I’ve had excellent results with Ruben at J and R Auto Body in Vista Ca That’s where I going next time

8391C2E3-896A-49C0-B7DE-2A86F8AB05C6.jpeg

9 hours ago, rstclark said:

Word of warning. Los Panchos has new ownership.  I had an Alfa Romeo painted there last year for $1,800 and it was horrible. At least a 10 footer Prep was poor and color didn’t completely match in parts of the car I would not go to the trouble of taking a car to TJ again based on my experience

If you want the car and I look good be prepared to pay a little more

I’ve had excellent results with Ruben at J and R Auto Body in Vista Ca That’s where I going next time

8391C2E3-896A-49C0-B7DE-2A86F8AB05C6.jpeg

U sure?   You do know there are TWO unrelated Places.  Los Ponchos and Los Panchos.  When I was there last month it wasn’t the same guy I was dealing with 2 years ago and my friends Q5 was done last month.  The Q5 was accident repair and it was flawless.  The thing about TJ is you must be VERY specific about what you want.  I was very clear about the job I wanted and the lever of detail that I wanted.  The price went up but I was happy in the end.  If they did change ownership that would be a shame.  The 6 VW campers I saw in progress looked great as well as a very cool 70s Land Cruiser Jeep. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Yes I know there are two Los Panchos  The new  owner I spoke with is named or nicknamed "Cheeto"  seemed appropriate in the end.

I left them very specific instructions and wanted to see the car before they sprayed it, but all I got was a call to say the car was finished

Having seen cars that looked really good encouraged me to go the adventurous route. Thanks goodness it was on a Alfa Romeo that didn't require critical detail. Again  my recommendation would be to stay North of the Border. 

• Like 1

Aria Group is a fabrication and paint shop in Camarillo, CA.  I work in the auto industry as a designer, and this is a company we use to make our concept cars for auto shows.  They do a really stellar job on surface work and paint - but not sure on the cost.  Worth looking into though.