• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 BMW 2002 -sale pending

FiniteLogic

Price: $25000

Description:

for sale is a 1970 BMW 2002. I bought it on this forum in 2014, and completely restored it by 2016. it has 70K-ish miles originally, approximately 1000 Miles since restoration.  Stripped paint, removed side markers, put in new full size spare tire wheel well. replaced tail panel that had a small dent in it.    Trunk and under body sprayed with bed liner.   Fresh Colorado orange paint job.   Brand new belt line trim.

I really and truly enjoyed the process of doing the work, but I haven't given it the attention it deserves. It is running really sweet right now, and only really needs a new muffler hanger(it was one of the few parts that I reused and it has finally given up).  I should also note that I do not have arm rests currently installed, as the ones I have were in terrible shape.   

Engine/transmission:

Stripped to the block, cleaned and re-painted block.  new freeze plugs, ect.   Engine block was bored for new oversized 9.5:1 CR Ireland engineering pistons.  E12 head with new 292 cam.  HD valve springs.  New valve seals.  123ignition Bluetooth tune-able distributor. New water pump.  New silicone hoses.  Newer 4 speed gear box out of a ‘76(borg-warner syncros, not the un-repairable Porsche style syncros. Shifts really nice.  new fuel pump. Replaced seals when installed. Blunttech short shift kit with Ireland engineering shift knob. New clutch. Rebuilt pedal box with new bearings. New weber DGAS 38/38 carburetor. New alternator. new flex disk. it idles a bit higher than normal due to the 292 cam, but it is rock solid.  the engine pulls really well up into the higher rev ranges, and it has a fantastic sound(IMHO). 

Suspension/steering:

New urethane bushings all around. Ireland Engineering front and rear torsion bar. Bilstien HD sport shocks front and rear. Ireland engineering springs -.75” approx. ride height. Rebuilt steering box. New wheel bearings front and rear. New front rotors/pads.  I am very pleased with how it rides, personally.  I have never been one for the low look or feel, but i also didn't want a boat. it corners nice and flat, and has a decent amount of compliance over bumps. 

Interior:

New carpet. Recovered dash. Cleaned/repaired airbox. Re-upolstered Recaro seats with custom plaid inserts. New recovered rear seats. Grace Bluetooth receiver/amp installed, speakers hidden in rear deck. New door cards. New seals all the way around. New headliner. New windshield. Sound insulation in floor pan. New muffler.  I should note that the windshield washer pump does run, but I have not actually tested that it sprays water.  

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

Edited by FiniteLogic
  • Like 3

Hey Blunt, you sold me the 4 speed transmission that I put in this car last year, and I was at one of the BMW + coffee events at your place last June with this.  we talked a bit about 123ignition because it was one of the first ones that you had sold(or first one that you had seen out and about?).  

Ultimately, I was really hoping to get out again this summer, but haven't been able too(unless you put on an October event!).  

a few additional good questions that I neglected to answer:

• Tag lights ... attached to body or tag frame ? they should be attached to the body.  the wires are in the trunk for them, but the new tail panel didn't come drilled for the mounting holes, and after paint, i just had a hard time wanting to drill more holes. I do believe that I still have them, but one was not in the greatest of shape. 

• Looks like no antenna? Holes filled ? it was a no radio car, and there were/are no holes that i am aware of for any antenna

• Detail at vents where dash recovered ( pic ) I can get a pic if interested. the recover at the vents looks really good (IMHO). the vinyl is stretched really well with minimal wrinkling. the one area that isn't ideal is around the vent/heater control.  there is one corner that is visible in the pictures above that the vinyl pulled back from the opening slightly. I will also note that, through a miss-communication with the group that recovered the Dash, the original vent control aluminum covers were lost.  after some back and forth communications, and a few trial replacement pieces, i couldn't find any that mounted the way the original ones did.  so I laser cut some stainless steel to replicate the plates.   

• Front bumper brackets still around ? yes i still have the original bumper and brackets. the bumper would need a good amount of work to match the look of the car as there a number of dents and dings. as you can see I left the holes as I was seriously considering putting the bumper back on(still am really) i also have an IE fiberglass turbo air dam that is not painted with fender flares(un-painted) if you are really excited about them. 

• Looks like front spoiler attached with 6 screws ? without counting i'm pretty sure it is 7.(one dead center) there are rivnuts in the body panel and rubber grommeted machine screws that you can see. 

• Single stage paint ? Or base coat / clear coat ( 2 stage ) Any rust issues ? I will have to look and see if i have any records, as i went back and forth on the shop with this a number  of times.  I seem to recall that to get the truest color match/look they went with a single stage paint. there was one small rust spot on the drivers side that they cut out and patched in new steel, and obviously the spare wheel well was hanging on by a thread.  there is one spot on the passenger rear under by the jack point that was not fully repaired when they did the paint, but you have to get down very low to see it. 

• Have you tried to adjust RPM via carb throttle adjustment ? yes, a bit, though I don't claim to be an expert at carb tuning. IIRC it will idle right around 900-1000 RPM once warm.  it be able to be set a bit lower, but it doesn't really bother me, and I disliked the feeling that it might die at a lower RPM.  there is a thread around here somewhere where i received the feedback that is probably about right for the high CR pistons, and taller cam. I understand(perhaps incorrectly) that those two items make it hard to get it to idle well at the book numbers of 700-800.  

• Like 1

a few more questions/answers. 

1) was the car originally Colorado orange? Yes

2) do the engine and chassis have matching numbers? Yes, I confirmed this today. I feel a bit funny(perhaps unfounded) about posting pictures of that on the open forum as it is basically the VIN, but if you are serious and need verification, I can send pictures. 

Pictures of the recover around the air vents are below.  my apologies, it is pretty hard to take good pics of it. 

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

also, I have miscellaneous parts that i need to sort through, from the original airbox/carb to spare kick/rockguard trim panels, to the old belt line trim(pretty beat up). i do have a full set of steel rims, unpainted IE fiber glass turbo airdam, old bumper, etc.  Perhaps i will dig through those and get some pictures up of that as well. 

another question: why sell it?

way long answer:

I bought the car as a single guy in 2014(ish) spent a few years, and way too much time and money on it, all of which was worth the experience.  my original goal was to make a reasonably nice daily driver out of it, that I wouldn't feel bad leaving in a parking lot, or worrying about rock chips ect.  but one thing lead to another, and it turned out nicer than I had intended(by way of too much time and money) and I get slightly paranoid driving it, because I want it to stay shiny and perfect. And, while I think this drives better than new, the vintage car thing does have it's compromises.  

the cost/benefit of driving it (for my personal taste) went out the window. 

Then I got married, and both time and space became a bit more of a constraint. Then I look at how much money I have tied up in it, and how little use I get out of it, and it seems silly to keep around when someone else could probably get a good bit of enjoyment out of it. 

If space, time, and money, were not constraints, I would probably keep it, because I do still love the sound and feel. 

• 2 weeks later...