• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina A4 Injection System

Brandon

14 minutes ago, 2002tiil said:

Those pics aren't the system i'm talking about....., Jenveys. Btw: there are about 10 sets from the "Alpina's" still for grabs.

FYI that the domain www.gmt-bauer.de is inaccessible due to XSS - also the info@gmt-bauer.de email bounces...

I saw the site briefly when you first posted it.

If you have contact info may want to let him know by telephone.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

14 minutes ago, 2002tiil said:

Jason, wait till next week, his site is down.  I mailed Richy yesterday but now i see he's down.

Cool - thanks! 

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

And the value of original A4 systems continues to plummet. Dammit should have sold mine a year ago :)

Does that airbox have provisions for the early cold start injector mounting, or just the reproduction later style where the cold start injector is in the intake manifold?

Edited by RobC
  • Like 1

Ok I don't get it.   I mean I love the vintage stuff.  I get Goodwood festival of speed (I am going when i hit my next decade mark). They are a lovely homage to hand crafted passionate visions largely embraced by those who were willing to sacrifice what it takes to realise their vision.  I respect that

Alpina is a part of that heritage, but for those who actually own them, be it the parts, systems or cars,  what do you do with them?  Is it an investment?,  do you want to own a bit of history.. even for a little while.

I would love to know what is so alluring, because I could put myself in the position to purchase one of these in the next 20 years or so.  Thus far I can only figure out a bit of the  vintage racing part of it.  For me that isn't important enough to justify the absolute shit show of pumps, part numbers and eagle eyed historians lurking to call you out on subjective calls about what numbers are on a pump from 50+ years ago. 

I eat sleep and breathe cars.  My petrolhead coefficient in the past 5 years has gone through the roof.  I have friends with magnificent exotic classic and modern cars, but they are largely used for conspicuous consumptions purposes and/or investments and not much more (as most of them are).   Alpina intake etcc for all it is or isn't will not sling shot you into that snack bracket largely because if it isn't a factory works car, with a racing provenance.  Stirling moss didn't drive it. Enzo didn't have a hand in it.  And that is what these sort of folks are looking for when they lay out $$ for these things. 

it has been bugging me for a long while.   I just don't know why I don't covet Alpina stuff.  I love love my 02. 

What is wrong with me?

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

37 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Ok I don't get it.   I mean I love the vintage stuff.  I get Goodwood festival of speed (I am going when i hit my next decade mark). They are a lovely homage to hand crafted passionate visions largely embraced by those who were willing to sacrifice what it takes to realise their vision.  I respect that

Alpina is a part of that heritage, but for those who actually own them, be it the parts, systems or cars,  what do you do with them?  Is it an investment?,  do you want to own a bit of history.. even for a little while.

I would love to know what is so alluring, because I could put myself in the position to purchase one of these in the next 20 years or so.  Thus far I can only figure out a bit of the  vintage racing part of it.  For me that isn't important enough to justify the absolute shit show of pumps, part numbers and eagle eyed historians lurking to call you out on subjective calls about what numbers are on a pump from 50+ years ago. 

I eat sleep and breathe cars.  My petrolhead coefficient in the past 5 years has gone through the roof.  I have friends with magnificent exotic classic and modern cars, but they are largely used for conspicuous consumptions purposes and/or investments and not much more (as most of them are).   Alpina intake etcc for all it is or isn't will not sling shot you into that snack bracket largely because if it isn't a factory works car, with a racing provenance.  Stirling moss didn't drive it. Enzo didn't have a hand in it.  And that is what these sort of folks are looking for when they lay out $$ for these things. 

it has been bugging me for a long while.   I just don't know why I don't covet Alpina stuff.  I love love my 02. 

What is wrong with me?

I can only speak for myself, but I wasnt exactly searching for an 02 with an A4 setup when I got my car. However as soon as I drove it, nothing else would suffice. Its the best of both worlds. Rock solid reliability of a tii, and performance to beat motor swapped e30s. For me, its not strictly an investment (my post above was tongue in cheek) but a reminder that even in the 70s, people made parts that kicked ass.

All of that being said, the rarity almost ensured you could get a better price upon sale than a standard tii. Its not a multiplier by any means, but still a premium that certain people are willing to pay for. Time will see if the potential proliferation of these systems will decrease this premium, or if the demand will still be there for "original" systems.

• Like 3

Don't want to make this too long...I grew up in the SF Bay Area.  First 2002 in 1980, 1st owner happened to be Alan Hardy (Hardy & Beck).  Starting my first year of college at CAL same year.  Car got serviced at Hardy & Beck.  Up until that time Hardy & Beck was also Alpina West. 

I think its pretty hard unless you have an extremely original car to not 'hot rod' them in some way. Alpina was the ultimate supplier of hot rod parts for the 2002 in this period (Miller & Norburn made some as well as Hardy and Beck + a few others to a much lesser degree - make no mistake, Alpina was (is) (IMO) the gold standard, whether street car or race car they had a high level of form and function <and were proven>) to their parts.  Since I started with my 2002 in 1980 I have owned virtually every Alpina part they ever offered, sadly I offed all of them again over time for the next thing I needed to finance.  I acquired an A4 system + pump in 1987 ($1750 including air box VG condition) and ran it on my 73tii for a number of years sans sport 300 cam and 10:1 pistons.  Soooo much fun that car was.  Sold the tii semi-restored in '92/ for $7k without the A4 system.  Sold the A4 system for $5k at the same time.

In 2002 I acquired my race car, I thought it was possibly a Schnitzer car since it had a Schnitzer motor and Grp 5 flares.  Five years later (2007) while working (very slowly) on restoring the car I learn that is in fact the Alpina Grp.2 factory works race car from 1974.  One of one.  The only one they built to this specification and the last 2002 they campaigned as a factory team....and probably the most technically advanced 2002 race car constructed to that point.  This of course was part of the cars problem with reliability.  That said, it raced in may 4,6 and 12 hour races and won 1st place in a 12 hour race driven by Dieter Quester.  Hoping to finish the restoration on it next year.  I wasn't looking for this car - I happened on it and was very lucky to get it.

Nothing is wrong with you, to each his (or her) own I say.

s-l1600.jpg

47681575_2929830700375768_2899992734649548800_n.jpg

• Like 5

Edit...going into hardy & beck in those days was pretty incredible, they had quite a bit of the Alpina stuff on display, plus their own, Scheel seats, H&B wheels etc., etc.,  their fully kitted out e-21 323i's with H&B wheels, Pirelli P7's.....loaded up.  M1's occasionally, CSL here and there plus loads of highly optioned 02's.  Sensory overload, ALL well above my college kid budget.  I would go in there for nickel / dime parts just so I could check stuff out without being a total lurker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markmac said:

s-l1600.jpg

47681575_2929830700375768_2899992734649548800_n.jpg

What a fantastic looking car!

love to see this fly around the track!!

On a seperate note, I saw a local 02 recently with a black engine bay, I’ve never been a fan of that look, when the body is a different colour, but this was so nicely painted it really made the engine “pop” I think I’m a fan now!?

You and me both!  Truth be told the engine bay is the wrong color, should have been painted Granada which was the color of the car.  I have taken so many steps backward not sure I have the juice to do it.  That said, I could pull everything ( including engine ) out of there in a day if I needed/wanted to.....

• Like 1