Brandon

Alpina A4 Injection System

35 posts / 1858 viewsLast Reply

What’s the current market value for an Alpina a4 injection system? This would be for the complete system...intake and the four throttle bodies, injection pump, injectors, linkages, etc.  I acquired a system some years back while I was racing my Tii but never used it and am thinking of maybe selling it.  I searched archives here but really didn’t see anything.

Edited by Brandon

Do you have the air box? 

Is it a modified pump? Bosch tag, pump number?

could make a big difference in price.

i do not know a price at this time.

wait and see if a few people answer,

like markmac. but, i do have a customer

who is actively looking for this set up for

his race car that just won its class at

Watkins Glen last weekend. please

contact me if you would like to be in

contact with him. thanks

stone

I have the air box, I also have velocity stacks...it’s a modified injection pump and injectors...fuel curve was changed on the pump...I don’t think it was touched by Alpina though.

1 hour ago, HENRYNBMW said:

Do you have the air box? 

Is it a modified pump? Bosch tag, pump number?

could make a big difference in price.

Not all 'AlpinA' pumps had the Bosch tag on them, earlie(r) ones had the Kugelfischer plaque with the PLO4 129.10 xxx, I bought one of the last A4 pumps from Alpina a long, long (long) time ago (like 1994), $2200 in 1994 money.

As far as the A4 system goes, assuming its all there, linkage, air box, injection lines etc., and if you have the 129.10 pump I wouldn't be surprised at all to see if fetch north of $7k.  Many will say its crazy and I guess it is but they are pretty hard to come by these days, especially complete (sans pump).  Unless you really need the dough, I would sit on it, its not going to go down in value (and you don't want to end up like me with many regrets having sold mine....

2 hours ago, markmac said:

Not all 'AlpinA' pumps had the Bosch tag on them, earlie(r) ones had the Kugelfischer plaque with the PLO4 129.10 xxx, I bought one of the last A4 pumps from Alpina a long, long (long) time ago (like 1994), $2200 in 1994 money.

As far as the A4 system goes, assuming its all there, linkage, air box, injection lines etc., and if you have the 129.10 pump I wouldn't be surprised at all to see if fetch north of $7k.  Many will say its crazy and I guess it is but they are pretty hard to come by these days, especially complete (sans pump).  Unless you really need the dough, I would sit on it, its not going to go down in value (and you don't want to end up like me with many regrets having sold mine....

Here's my story, somewhat long:

About 3 years ago I purchased a rebuilt dogleg from Connor Elkington/Vintage Autobahn (wasn't cheap). Patrick at Midnight Motorsports installed it a couple of years ago and it transformed the car. I've owned my car for nearly 38 years and I had always wanted one. 

I had an opportunity and purchased a (mostly) complete Alpina setup (pump, injectors, stacks, TBs, linkage, lines, and airbox top) a couple of years ago also from Connor. Again, wasn't cheap but since the Alpina fairy isn't around anymore I jumped at the chance. 

The following year I had Wes Ingram (and Herb) rebuild the TBs, pump and flow match the injectors. In my mind, money well spent in prep for install.

My original plan was to have Rob Torres install the A4. A QR steering box had also been purchased and sent to SLO but it was lost with the 2002 Haus demise.

This year I finally had the budget to have Wes install the A4. Also wasn't cheap but well worth it as the car starts easily and is very driveable. Had to source another airbox bottom (Thanks Rey!), new "gummis" (Thanks Lars!) and replace the injection lines (Thanks Carl!) to complete the setup. I need to finish up some things with the car and fine tune the AFR - i have a wideband installed but the car has be completely re-transformed. 

Blipping the throttle and listening to air flow through the stacks makes it all worth while.

I'll likely have it dyno'd next year with the local BMW club to see the end results.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question on price but I think Mark is in the ballpark. An A4 Alpina isn't getting cheaper and nearing unobtanium status. 

Don't sell it. Install it. Drive it. You won't regret it.  

Won't be selling my A4, dogleg or my car. ever.  

AlpinaA4.jpg

0723181051.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

VERY slippery slope.

This would be just the beginning. 

budget another $12K to $20K (SWAG) for an engine, exhaust & ignition. 

Mac. 

PS.  Oh, and don't forget,  you'll need a car to put it in. LOL

10 hours ago, ColinK said:

Here's my story, somewhat long:

About 3 years ago I purchased a rebuilt dogleg from Connor Elkington/Vintage Autobahn (wasn't cheap). Patrick at Midnight Motorsports installed it a couple of years ago and it transformed the car. I've owned my car for nearly 38 years and I had always wanted one. 

I had an opportunity and purchased a (mostly) complete Alpina setup (pump, injectors, stacks, TBs, linkage, lines, and airbox top) a couple of years ago also from Connor. Again, wasn't cheap but since the Alpina fairy isn't around anymore I jumped at the chance. 

The following year I had Wes Ingram (and Herb) rebuild the TBs, pump and flow match the injectors. In my mind, money well spent in prep for install.

My original plan was to have Rob Torres install the A4. A QR steering box had also been purchased and sent to SLO but it was lost with the 2002 Haus demise.

This year I finally had the budget to have Wes install the A4. Also wasn't cheap but well worth it as the car starts easily and is very driveable. Had to source another airbox bottom (Thanks Rey!), new "gummis" (Thanks Lars!) and replace the injection lines (Thanks Carl!) to complete the setup. I need to finish up some things with the car and fine tune the AFR - i have a wideband installed but the car has be completely re-transformed. 

Blipping the throttle and listening to air flow through the stacks makes it all worth while.

I'll likely have it dyno'd next year with the local BMW club to see the end results.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question on price but I think Mark is in the ballpark. An A4 Alpina isn't getting cheaper and nearing unobtanium status. 

Don't sell it. Install it. Drive it. You won't regret it.  

Won't be selling my A4, dogleg or my car. ever.  

AlpinaA4.jpg

0723181051.jpg

So do ya like it?  😋

Before reading your story, I never even considered an A4. Now I’m thinking....

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Ok thanks guys for the insight.  Given the rarity and price to get your hands on these parts now, I think I’m just going to keep it until I make a decision about my future racing career.  So sorry to those that inquired.

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ok thanks guys for the insight.  Given the rarity and price to get your hands on these parts now, I think I’m just going to keep it until I make a decision about my future racing career.  So sorry to those that inquired.

Rest comfortably that if you do decide to sell it, whenever that might be, there will be eager buyers! 😉

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I had mine on a '73tii,E-12, 9.5CR, 39mm exh valves, port matched, BmW sport 300 cam, standard tii manifold, tii exhaust.  Easier to set up than a standard tii (imo), smooth power all the way up as far as you wanted to go.  Very fast.  Lots of fun.

26 minutes ago, 2002tiil said:

Someone's redoing them, price: 2500 euro 

Even the Alpina logo's are on.

A4 alpina.jpg

Interesting!  Any insight on who "someone" is?  Are they being sold as replicas or ?

As a side note, for those of you shadetree A4 mechanics - I am wrapping up v2.0 of the "Remove/Inspect/Install/Tune Alpina A4 on BMW 2002tii" manual. It has been considerably updated for this version, many new photos and step by step that walks through my process of tuning the engine as well as troubleshooting, etc.  I'm in the middle of it right now on my car. Always a work in progress.. I'm planning to post it on the FAQ in public domain and look forward to any feedback. 

~Jason

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.58.06 AM.png

• Like 4