• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard getting into gear

backeis

Alright, just put her up on jacks and what I'm seeing doesn't bode too well. Does this look like a generally leaky transmission to you?

8403fa08858dd7c05f0f13053ef3cd3d.jpg&key=500c1fc7b2b10a5ee5e8f64433b06984a1d6f97910fa6c85d1d76290fc1afd79

afead5278bc285509009a0db39956077.jpg&key=ebd2ff25c8d1594e5ff551e6858f63f02c2f6eb9bb2f69acfcc0e07c17e5a36f

This here (next photo) is the slave cylinder, right? I wasn't expecting to see two lines coming from it. Is the black line in the place of where I'd normally expect a screw? That line leads to what I presume us some sort of master cylinder? Sits next to the left strut done, right next to brake fluid reservoir and relay bank.

61e2aaaa4159e2188965436ffb5891b9.jpg&key=b384a9d51ab5e20a3172980807212c9ca6a15ca8e91cd3f6750271893601b164

Lastly, I have two full, undisturbed (not shaken) bottles of this stuff around. Should I top off while I'm at it? Where do I fill it in?

c164ed5b2cb448d7d7d304429f2fca77.jpg&key=57a91a9e7d6b1fa92194576969e7e69cac5c9992068254b10c81c4162903968e

That black hose is connected to the bleed screw. At least, I hope you have a bleed screw there & it's screwed in tight.

Have you thought of buying at least a Haynes manual?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

That black hose is connected to the bleed screw. At least, I hope you have a bleed screw there & it's screwed in tight.

Have you thought of buying at least a Haynes manual?

Thanks. I have the Haynes and it doesn't show a hose there, just a screw:
b7444d0e1e1bc11ae349abb263d0ae5c.jpg

Is that where I undo the hose and attach my clear line running to break fluid reservoir to do the pumping? Or elsewhere?

Next surprise. I seem to be low on brake fluid:

11e56dd7ef1303e9af8c11664bcea9c0.jpg

Running to store to see if they have the right stuff. Question though: when I run the clear line from clutch cylinder to brake resevoir, do I want it to dip into the fluid? Or keep it outside of the filter mesh? Is it's function merely to catch whatever clutch fluid I pump? Do those two mix well? Or is it to keep a pseudo vacuum by being dipped in another fluid.

Haynes calls for glass jar with clutch fluid as the receptor of the clear line. So I assume the latter (vacuum)?

Also, since I'm by myself and don't have anyone to keep the clutch pressed once air is out, what's the reco? Find something to lodge it pressed? Or is it ok to release on the last pump? I assume it might suck some air back in...

Something is up... I just did the bleeding thing. Ran the clear tube to a jar full of MTL. Punched the clutch at least 30 times, yet am not seeing any liquid enter the tube or air bubbles forming in the jar.

Bleed screw is loose. Loose enough that I can turn it by hand via the attached clear tube. Tube fit seems tight. It's 1/4" ID, not the recommended 3/16". But close enough.

What could be off here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, backeis said:

Something is up... I just did the bleeding thing. Ran the clear tube to a jar full of MTL.

MTL has nothing to do with the clutch hydraulic system.

The clutch uses brake fluid.

Your fluid level was low enough in the reservoir to have dipped below the outlet for the clutch, so you have a brake leak also.

Is there fluid in your puddle box?

Losing fluid implies you will likely be shopping for a new clutch master and slave.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Whoa! Tell me you haven’t put MTL in your brake (and clutch) reservoir?

The MTL is supposed to go in the gearbox itself. You should use DOT4 brake fluid in the brake reservoir.  If you have put MTL in there, then get a turkey baster or big syringe and suck it out. Get a couple of litres of brake fluid because I would suggest that you now need to change the lot and flush the brakes through.  

Being low on brake fluid probably isn’t a coincidence. The reservoir is split and the take offs at different height so that it should reveal itself as a clutch fault before you lose brakes altogether. I would suggest that you go over the hydraulic system closely with the car jacked up and the wheels off, looking for leaks. Check your pedal box for leaks from the clutch/ brake masters too. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Ok, good to know :)

The clutch rod in the pedal box is a bit wet indeed, but I didn't exactly see a lot of liquid or any pooling. Drove the car just yesterday.

a1dc5ecbc7bae2cb3257712fc669f1a2.png

44f3b93d69f30127f30062d3d8e1330b.png

For now, should I just close it all back up and see if regular driving, and use if brake and clutch pedals, improves the situation a bit?

I did top off the brake fluid to the max line and yep, a lot of air escaped from the previous un-submerged tube near the top.

Whoa! Tell me you haven’t put MTL in your brake (and clutch) reservoir?

The MTL is supposed to go in the gearbox itself. You should use DOT4 brake fluid in the brake reservoir.

No, all good. No MTL entered the system. I used DOT 3 though per Haynes reco. Not DOT 4. Big deal?

635b04f56bffe368cae034bfeda1e1d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely have a leak somewhere. Don’t drive until you find it. Brake fluid doesn’t evaporate (until it’s old and full of moisture and you need it the most). As I said, this could be a leak in the brakes and it shows up first as a clutch problem. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/