• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver tii spotted in DUMBO

amigo70

Hey guys. Did anyone park a silver tii square light at Washigton and Front tonight? I was parked around the corner on Front St. Red round light with silver bladed roof rack. I go to the gym around there a couple nights a week and never see any 02s. 

Albert

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:12 PM, amigo70 said:

Hey guys. Did anyone park a silver tii square light at Washigton and Front tonight? I was parked around the corner on Front St. Red round light with silver bladed roof rack. I go to the gym around there a couple nights a week and never see any 02s. 

Albert

I know the car, and have met the owner, but can not remember his name.  Beautiful car.  As for DUMBO and 02s, there are two that are regularly in the neighborhood, but garage on Jay st. One is mine (Silver '69), the other is a Sahara '74/'76, a friend's.  Keep an eye out!

Hey there. 

Are you Scott? If you are, I met you at the Wholefoods parking lot a couple weeks ago. I have the red '71.

You have the silver '69. 

There's another 02 around downtown Brooklyn. I pass him regularly in the morning on Furman St. Colorado roundie. I think he has CA plates.

Yeah, that's me!  Had been trying to remember your name on here and find you, as I recently had a motor meltdown and remembered you'd mentioned you knew a few trustworthy mechanics here in NY.  Too late now, but good to link regardless!

Oh boy. Motor meltdown? Hope not too serious. I too had a predicament recently–my whole rear left wheel flew off my car cruising up 95 N. I had the bearing replaced recently and they forgot to put the cotter pin back in to secure the axle nut. Luckily I didnt cause an accident and I was unharmed. 

Would you mind sharing the shop that did the work on your motor? Im still in search of a local 02 man or shop thats sensitive to our cars. As I mentioned before, my 02 guru is up in Poughkeepsie and its not always convenient to get the car to him. He will be giving my car a full evaluation for safety though since this latest incident.

Wow.  That sounds harrowing.  Glad to hear you're okay.

I do not recommend going to the shop I am currently stuck in.  BKM in L.I.C. is known for BMWs, but the proprietor is a nightmare.  Has been working on my car off and on for years, but its only recently come to my attention how dishonest this guy is. Super-overpriced parts from junked cars mixed with intimidation and fast talking, and rampant lying make a bad combo.  In trying to figure out my current situation, I've encountered two former customers who he has swindled in ways that confirm previous times he has swindled me, and my father both.  Stay far-far away.  Hoping to extricate myself from his garage without too much more financial, mental, or  if it comes to it, physical pain.

I myself have had good experience with Little Garage (Matt works on a lot of 02s), but is somewhat expensive, and an hour drive from Brooklyn isn't exactly convenient, but he does know the cars.

Oh man. Sucks to be involved with dishonest guys. And overpriced. Thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away. The shop that forgot to put the cotter pin on my wheel is Alfa Motors in Cobble Hill. I've been going to them on and off over the years. Decent guys and I see 02s at the shop regularly but damn…how do you forget the cotter pin? I have a feeling they probably let the young apprentice at the shop finish the wheel and he missed it. The owner apologized for the botched job and covered the expenses I had for the shop down in Maryland that repaired the wheel to get me back on the road. Good thing I was able to retrieve it. It ended up in the grass between North and South bound traffic which means it crossed 4 lanes. Crazy.

I know Little Garage from when they were in Queens. I actually bought my second 02 from Matt's secretary at the time. This mustve been around '95.

There's L&R on Union St next to Dinosaur BBQ. Louie is good but he's getting old and he kinda misses stuff too. Been going to him since '95. He knows 02s pretty well as he's had many at the shop over the years. He recently did a restoration to a Sahara roundie. Decent job.

Oh well, I guess the search continues for a close, reliable 02 man or garage.

Good luck with your motor work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, amigo70 said:

Oh man. Sucks to be involved with dishonest guys. And overpriced. Thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away. The shop that forgot to put the cotter pin on my wheel is Alfa Motors in Cobble Hill. I've been going to them on and off over the years. Decent guys and I see 02s at the shop regularly but damn…how do you forget the cotter pin? I have a feeling they probably let the young apprentice at the shop finish the wheel and he missed it. The owner apologized for the botched job and covered the expenses I had for the shop down in Maryland that repaired the wheel to get me back on the road. Good thing I was able to retrieve it. It ended up in the grass between North and South bound traffic which means it crossed 4 lanes. Crazy.

I know Little Garage from when they were in Queens. I actually bought my second 02 from Matt's secretary at the time. This mustve been around '95.

There's L&R on Union St next to Dinosaur BBQ. Louie is good but he's getting old and he kinda misses stuff too. Been going to him since '95. He knows 02s pretty well as he's had many at the shop over the years. He recently did a restoration to a Sahara roundie. Decent job.

Oh well, I guess the search continues for a close, reliable 02 man or garage.

Good luck with your motor work.

Hey Scott, Albert,

Wanted to reply on this thread and (re)introduce myself. Albert, we caught up the same day I think you and Scott were talking at Whole Foods. I've got the Agave '73 roundie. She's an automatic, but love her nonetheless.

My car is up in Poughkeepsie right now with the guru--needed some rust work and paint. Scott, I also brought my car to BKM after searching around for someone familiar with 02s. It wasn't a great experience and I'm convinced by car drove much worse and had carb issues after I got it back. They also broke my door key and didn't tell me about it--I found it in two pieces sitting on my dash and had to raise the issue with them.

Anyways, it's good to catch up with you guys on here. Maybe we could grab a coffee around Brooklyn sometime before the winter hits.

Have a good one,

Matt

Hello again Matt.

Good to know you connected with Lawrence. He is a really super guy. His talent and knowledge with those cars is beyond words. He's walked me through problems over the phone on several occasions.

Man, you had a bad experience with BKM too? I'll stay clear of those guys.

Weekends work best for me for a catch up. Let me know what you decide. I'm in the area but more on the Columbia St Waterfront side.

Cheers,

Albert

1 hour ago, BKGolde02 said:

Hey Scott, Albert,

Wanted to reply on this thread and (re)introduce myself. Albert, we caught up the same day I think you and Scott were talking at Whole Foods. I've got the Agave '73 roundie. She's an automatic, but love her nonetheless.

My car is up in Poughkeepsie right now with the guru--needed some rust work and paint. Scott, I also brought my car to BKM after searching around for someone familiar with 02s. It wasn't a great experience and I'm convinced by car drove much worse and had carb issues after I got it back. They also broke my door key and didn't tell me about it--I found it in two pieces sitting on my dash and had to raise the issue with them.

Anyways, it's good to catch up with you guys on here. Maybe we could grab a coffee around Brooklyn sometime before the winter hits.

Have a good one,

Matt

Hey Matt,

I'm up to link up. Would love to see your Agave.  Weekends are good for me as well.  Also, you guys are going to have to link me with this Lawrence guy, I'm done with BKM.

-Scott.

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors