• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting: sanding vs. stripping question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am preparing to have my 74 Chamonix re-painted. I'd like

to do as much prep as I can and am interested in sanding the

whole car and then having it shot by a professional - hoping I

can maybe save the original primer and $$. It looks like my

current paint job is at least 4 mil thick - I have heard that this

might be too thick for sanding and I might have to chemical

strip? Could I just put more effort into sanding or is it just

impossible to sand beyond a certain thickness?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

One reason is that they tend to leave a nice residue.

I am currently working on stripping my car. Its got over 11 coats of paint from the OG primer to this cheap Macco job. Id say its about 1/8" thick in places its even thicker. Just use a large pad, and move around ALOT! To much heat will warp the metal. if you see sparks, stop! If the metal is hot STOP! it will take a while to sand it down.

Why save the OG primer? If you are going to the trouble to sand it down might as well start from bare metal. There is a really good site about autbod work. check out the link, its a good body forum.

HTH

Andy

Guest Anonymous

To my knowledge you can sand anything down no matter what the thickness. Just be sure to use a DA sander so you dont get any heat warpage. Ive used both chem and sanding....I prefer sanding hands down, much less of a mess and i dont have to worry about getting dust on my skin. for really hard to sand things I use a little chem strip, but only when necessary.

Guest Anonymous

I love the Discovery Channel! - that would be cool if I could

afford it - think I gotta sand if possible

Guest Anonymous

an 8 inch random orbital sander is the very thing for sanding large areas. If you're careful, you can sand the color coat off and get down to the original primer; that would be impossible with a chemical stripper or bead blasting.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

you're willing to spend the time, sanding's probably a good option, but be aware that when machine sanding, it's really, really easy to put "waves" in the top surface by sanding deeper in some places than others. If you sand down to the original primer, you'll probably get the best surface by machine sanding ONLY until you first start to cut through to the primer coat, then block sand wet with waterproof paper to get a smooth base - reading the surface prep chapters in a "How to Paint Your Car" book should provide some good pointers. You'll also need to do something with any spot where the paint has chipped or cracked down to bare metal - any contamination or rust on the base metal can cause problems later.

If your car has ever had any body work or been repainted, you're taking a major gamble if you don't strip to bare metal - the new paint may not bond well to the old stuff, or worse yet, incompatability between new and old paint material may cause the old paint or filler (bondo) to delaminate and lift, ruining the job.