• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took my '76 for a long ride today. Before reaching (long..)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

normal temperature the car sputtered - as if it had fuel starvation or as if the ignition timing was wrong. This was not the case when driving back home at which the sputter stopped and the car responded very well. Could this be carb (car has a very tired 32/36 weber carb) or is this related to the ignition.

TIA

BTW: I took the car for a paint job quotaion. The first place I went, the guy didn't even come close to the car when he was already telling me "Never!, No way I'm going to take that job! I have a very good work crew and I'm not about to hand them a job that difficult to lower their morale!"

Could you believe this?

I did go to another place and the guy was much more helpful and understanding. He did tell me that my doors, hood and fenders were totally shot (Not that I didn't suspect this!) but he did say that he had repaired a similar '02 with very good results.

Guest Anonymous

did you ever figure out what happened, i believe i have the same problem, only difference is that mine does it when its cold or warm.

Guest Anonymous

carb related (only because of the temp variable). If your does it both cold and warm it might be leaning towards the timing side.

I don't move the car alot but if I manage to get a new carb kit and solve the problem I'll post an update.

Good luck with yours!

Victor

'74 '02 Automatic

'76 "Spitter"