• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpine 500 was a BLAST! You guys missed out. ( a bit long, s

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I saw last years' pics after Norm posted here. Showed them to my wife and she said, "That looks like fun." We decided to do it up right and went up Friday night.

What a great event and a great group of people. Friday night was a 'meet and greet' in the NorCal warehouse just over the river from downtown Sac. Free beer(thanks Rubicon!), live 60s style surf music, food, a very cool garage and collectibles shop, and free beer.

Saturday morning started with a car show in the parking lot as everyone registered and got their rally stickers applied. There was a WIDE assortment of vehicles. I snapped one pic of the Ferrari, Porsche, VW thing, Mini, and a Rambler all together. Show quality cars and beaters alike. All ages, 20s and up to seniors. Everyone was just there to drive.

10am and we were off on our 500 mile(nearly) adventure. Out hwy 16, then off on some very secondary roads. You know when the center lines and the shoulders disappear that this is a secondary road. How about when the "road narrows" sign appears after that? Twisties and turnies all the way. We ended up at our lunch stop at Kirkwood. Glorious sunny skies. Sitting on the patio, eating BBQ tri-tip, watching the snowboarders launch off of the ramps, listing to Blind Faith and Allman Brothers on the PA speakers.

Stage 2 ran us out the back roads into Nevada. We climbed over and dropped into Lake Tahoe. Well, we drove down to the lake, and ended up at the Cal-Neva. We had a lake view room, but the highlight was that the entire front entry area was lined with our rally cars. There was a brand new Lamborghini that was stuck out in the parking lot while we got the front spots. Ah, justice. Dinner that night at the Lake Tahoe brewing Co. 2 for one beers for our group, good food and a bluegrass group playing classics and even the odd tune by the Animals.

Sunday was a long day with many miles. Up through the forest to Quincy for a lunch stop. Down through Lake Oroville area. Remember those secondary roads. Some of these were not roads at all. My suspension bottomed out several times on Table Mountain. I don't know how that guy in the Alfa Romeo Montreal was going so fast. He did say later that he high centered it a couple of times. Down to Grass Valley and an inpromptu stop to visit my wifes Grandma, was she surprised! We sat on her porch sipping cold drinks and watched the other rally cars go by.

We had a second water crossing that day south of Coloma. Down, down, down this hill, then the road turned into a stream bed. I got several pics of cars coming through the water. The last stretch had a line of about 9 cars including to Minis. My wife has a new appreciation for their 'point and squirt' handling. "How are they doing that?!!"

We ended up, tired and sweaty at the Towe auto museum. We had the place to ourselves with a buffet dinner and FREE BEER!

For such a fledgling event, this was TOP NOTCH. Very profesional. For what we got, and how we were treated and cared for, I would have paid a lot more and been fine with that. It was a bargain. Brad, Norm, Marion, and their crew did an outstanding job.

A Bavaria, an 1800, and our tii out of 43 cars. Next year, let's have a couple of more BMW folks. Pics to follow. I aint got no digital camera. Maybe someone here will want to host these pics for me. (I do have a scanner)

Guest Anonymous

That's my old home... still home kinda I guess (college). I'm DEFINETLY doing that next year! How do I find out and keep up with the next time it happens? TIA

Matthew

Guest Anonymous

Hwy 20 to Penn Valley, Indian springs, McCourtney, Lime Kiln, down to 49.

The only place we messed up. And my wife was born and raised in GV. (she was navigator on that leg) She did pick up speed after that. (I was back in the navigators seat)

They have a site- www.alpine500.com

Guest Anonymous

Get some rest Norm, then let's ramp up for next year.

Someone should have called the local TV, could have been a good shot of the cars rolling out of Sac.

We may have gotten some press coverage up in Sierraville. There was some woman scribbling on a note pad as cars drove by and made the turn there.