• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Since no one answered my post over the weekend--air filter c

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I will ask it again (in a little different format) ;-)

What actually is in the K&N air filter cleaning kit for $40? Can I substitute with common cleaner/solvent/etc.?

I have a Weber 32/36 setup with the K&N air filter sitting on top that needs cleaning.

TIA

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

a special solvent and oil filter oil. The k&n filter requires oil to accomplish most of its filtering capabilities and FYI, I paid $17 canadian for whats called a K&n re-charge kit which I presume is what you are talking about.

Guest Anonymous

and the other thing in the kit is a detergent. Simple Green full strength is probably just as effective.

Guest Anonymous

Dont mess with a k&n, i did try to clean one many years ago with some light soap and it finaly gets destroyed, anyway you need the special formulated oil to re-oil it, so do yourself a favor, buy the k&n kit, way cheap.

-You have a spay can of oil, good for 3-4 shots and enough soap to clean it 3-4 times too, in the kit.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

if you can think of anything that reliably cleans cloth gauze without damage, go for it.

The K&N _kit_ with teh filter is $40, the cleaner/recharge oil is like $14 bucks at autozone. I have a K&N in my truck, I don't think its worth the money or the hastle. Maybe a couple hp at best, and it filters less than a paper filter.

Guest Anonymous

Purchase. $40 is outrageous! If you are talking about the "recharge" kit, it is only about $14-15 tops at almost any chain auto parts store. The kit contains a cleaner and spray oil that is good for several applications.

Guest Anonymous

Buy the K&N oil to re-lube the filter. I prefer to use the squeeze bottle rather than the spray.

The filter in my M3 seems to hold up pretty well with this regimine. Probably 180k and 11 or 12 years on it.

Granted, I don't clean and soak it every 3000 miles, more like every 40-50k when I can remember to do it.

There was a lot of bandwidth about filter types and flow- The K&N actually came out near the bottom. Stock paper filters were among the top. I believe the K&Ns are more suited for dusty environments.

All in all, I still run my K&N and don't loose any sleep over the loss of .3 HP or decreased flow. At least I don't keep tossing used filters into the landfill for the last 12 years.

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking about coming down to have you take a look over my car sometime soon.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

Weber 32/36...some tin snips and a chunk of closed cell foam (to form a gasket between carb and air cleaner can) plus less than an hour's work and you're in business. There have been several posts on the subject. Mine's been working fine since 1979...

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

....it's always your wife's fault?? Get some pants!!:) Saw your twin headed north on 43 today-they "other" Mintgrun. Looked great.