Kidasters

Time to come clean - #5

8 posts / 396 viewsLast Reply

I have a reason, but you guys wouldn't believe me any way.

Bill of sale says 1970 Yamaha RD125.  I think it's actually a 74 or 75 RD125.  I need to find a good VIN search for old Yamaha bikes.

RD125_zpsulizlots.jpg

It's more photogenic than it's condition is.  Tank is pretty beat up, with a big dent in the top.  But, engine top end was recently completely rebuilt.  Starts with one kick.  Seems solid.  Now to find space.

Edited by Kidasters
  • Like 2

The Japanese bikes are so different than the German bikes.  My /6 and /7 bikes have a deep, throaty sound.  Maybe not as deep as a Harley, but pretty deep.

The Honda CB550 and this bike sound very similar - higher revving, very tinny.  I like the sound of the BMW bikes better.

good add!

my first bike was a 74 yamaha RD250.  white with red stripes.  commuted on it 1981-83 in seattle and san diego for two years.  my brother had an identical one in Connecticut at the same time.  fun rides!

• Like 1

Rinsed out the tank today with POR 15 Marine Clean.  All kinds of rust and crap came out, but it also doesn't smell as bad as it did.  Also pulled the old fuel lines and filters and replaced them.

The petcock is trash.  Fuel runs out of it at every setting (off, run, reserve).  I've ordered a replacement.  

It's a two stroke engine, with an "auto oil" feature, and an oil tank.  I think the oil tank has a sight glass.  I may have to pull the tank, drain it and rinse it with a solvent in order to get the sight glass clean.  

I don't want to "restore" this one, but every time I look at the dents in the tank, I think "boy - I wish I could get those out".....

Find the FAQ site for that thing. I'm sure someone has a pretty tank laying around.

😉