• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Cooling Fans

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking at improving the cooling on my 73 Tii. I already have a 3 row rad (new) and new stock fan. I have AC and live in AZ. The car runs cool on the freeway (just over 1/2) but sitting idleing it goes up to about 2/3. As its only 100 now I'm a bit concerned that I will be running too warm when it gets really hot. Does anyone know what the CFM performance of the engine fan and the Behr electric AC fan is? I want to compare that to the aftermarket fans that are available.

Thanks,

Brian

Guest Anonymous

WE JUST UPGRADED THE AC FAN IN A S-CLASS MERCEDES .

THE SAME SIZE FAN MADE A BIG IMPROVEMENT IN COOLING .

THE 2002 AC FANS DO NOT MOVE VERY MUCH AIR AND MAKE

MORE NOISE DOING IT .

Guest Anonymous

t will help the mechanical fan pull more air from the rad and not from the sides of the rad.

Guest Anonymous

Have been in Nevada a few years now, have had luck with BMW electric fans off newer models. They move a lot of air, some have two speeds so you can run it on low all the time and it kicks into high at a certain temp. They all mount the same way, easily. The quality seems very good, after all it is BMW. I have about three or four here now, I will see which blow the most air before I put one into Boris, the new 02. Living in Phoenix now, what part of AZ are you in?

Guest Anonymous

Car #1 has a 3 row copper/brass '02 radiator, 4 blade "artic" fan (no shroud), and a 91 degree © thermo switch in the heating plenum in the bottom of a late EGR type 2 bbl intake manifold. Idling in traffic on 100 degree day, the 320 fan kicks on at the 1/2 point on the temp gauge, temp drops to about 1/3 and the fan cycles off.

Car #2 has a 3 row Volvo 240 turbo copper/brass radiator, no engine driven fan, and both 91 and 99 degree © thermo switches wired into an E30 style 2 speed fan control circuit (this car is being set up for a/c, but it's not hooked up yet). Under the same conditions as above, the low speed fan circuit comes on at the 1/2 point on the gauge, drops the engine temp and cycles the fan back off. So far the high speed circuit has never kicked in, although it will be wired into the a/c to push air through the condensor whenever the ac is operating. If cooling is inadequate with the a/c operating, the fan will be upgraded to a Volvo 760 15" (just put one in my wife's 320 - it pushes a LOT of air) and the low temp themo switch will be swapped for an 81 degree unit, with the 91 degree switch moved to the high speed side.